Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Force quit on M-Box firmware updater leaves unit inoperable!

Hi,
I have a pretty intense problem with which I could really use help.

I have a MacBook Pro (OSX 10.4.11), Pro Tools LE 7.1.1, and an M-Box 2 Factory Bundle.

Here's my problem:
I was using the M-Box as my audio interface while I ran Ableton Live. After a little while, during some arbitrary operation (no apparent reason for when), a grey screen would descend saying "You must restart your Computer" in a bunch of languages (AKA kernel panic). At first I thought it was my computer or bad memory, so I brought it to an AppleCare store, had the memory upgraded and the logic board replaced. When I got the computer home: same problem. I then thought maybe it was the MBox 2, so I downloaded a firmware updater. It was a lower version than the firmware that was already installed (1.38 updater on an MBox 2 with 1.43, I believe). It said it was going to download the necessary updater for the MBox as the updater was for an older firmware. It never changed from this status, so I forced quit the updater. Big mistake...the MBox no longer works. It's bizarre...if it's plugged into my USB port on the right side of my laptop, it shows no signs of life. If I plug it in on the left side, the USB light lights up, but no other lights...and the computer still does not recognize it. I tried reinstalling Pro-Tools, but that didn't work.

So my questions are:
  • Most importantly, how does one do a clean reset of the M-Box firmware?
  • Second, what involving my MBox 2 might be causing the grey screen kernel panic asking for restart?
Please help as this is the center of my live music show.
Thank you very much!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Force quit on M-Box firmware updater leaves unit inopera

No love.