Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Digidesigns support for Windows

I would like to spend my money for systems whitch will also work in the future, I prefere Windows based systems, but I already lost a lot of money for Emagic products, not knowing they would stop the Windows line. So if it is not sure that Digidesign will continue supporting Windows, I'm goeing to buy a Mac although I dont't like the handling realy.

Does anyone know how save Digidesigns support for WIN in the future is?
Old 05-16-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Digidesigns support for Windows

Alot of people are saying that if anything there support for windows is growing, I definitley don't see them losing support for windows.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:34 AM

Considering that Apple is now a direct competitor becasue of thge logic audio thing, I would look at more Windows support as well.
And the fact that in operations, MACS are no better these days than PC's.

Living the dream.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:30 PM

But it seems to me that the bigger part of Digi Users are Mac Users, and I think the development costs for two different systems is much higher than just for one. And will they also keep their support for both LE and TDM for Win.

Perhaps someone from Digidesign itself could give us/me a short comment. I realy cant't believe that I am the only one with this question.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:53 PM

Maybe 'cause you underestimate windows capabilities. There's no reason for Digi to shut down there support for windows, and im sure they would make some sort of announcement that support for windows would be coming to an end. Im pretty sure they make a bigger profit now that theres windows support and thats all that really matters to them. Maybe someone who actually follows macs and pcs can give you more info but honestly I see no possible future of digidesign taking away support for windows.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:26 PM

Check out This Picture

There may be two MACS in that picture, but those two machines on the bottom are PCs, and from what I understand, many of the demos of the ICON done at the recent NAB gathering were done on the PC.

Also, with all this recent news that the major plugin developers are porting their plugs over to PC, I think it is pretty apparent that the PC is predominant in Pro Tool's future. Why would they port their plugs if digi is dropping support? Sounds more like the opposite to me.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-16-2004, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I would like to spend my money for systems whitch will also work in the future, I prefere Windows based systems, but I already lost a lot of money for Emagic products, not knowing they would stop the Windows line. So if it is not sure that Digidesign will continue supporting Windows, I'm goeing to buy a Mac although I dont't like the handling realy.

Does anyone know how save Digidesigns support for WIN in the future is?
Hey, I got bit by the whole Emapple fiasco too... and I had been a customer of theirs since the C-Lab Notator days on the Atari (circa 1988).

Facts are that everything will lose support sooner or later, and digital (software and hardware) devices have a shorter lifespan than things like outboard preamps and compressors, microphones, etc.

But I don't see Digidesign dropping Windows support any time soon... they're making money on it and as was previously mentioned, that's what matters to a company. While Apple / Emagic are now competitors, that doesn't mean Digi has stopped Mac support. On the contrary, they appear to be doing a joint promotional tour.

Macs are still firmly entrenched in pro studios worldwide, and it would tick a lot of people off if Digidesign dropped Mac support... but they do seem to be trying very hard to promote the PC too... and parity between the two platforms is pretty much a fact of life these days, with third party plug in support still favoring the Mac, but increasing for the PC all the time.

Bottom line: buy whichever platform you want and that you'll feel comfortable with - I doubt either is in any danger of being dropped by Digidesign insofar as the forseeable future goes.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:15 AM

i think the reason you see a larger portion of digi users being mac users
is because only in the last year or two have pc's (really) had cpu's and
operating systems that are powerfull and stable enough to base a system around
with a fair amount of confidence. but you have to realize for years mac was the
only system stable enough, and those guys are still in the mindset that macs are better.
and they are so comfortable with them, they don't want to change.
in reality a properly set up pc can do everything a mac can do (with the exception of
mac based programs) due to the same circumstance.