Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Question about hard drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You were looking at a correct OWC upgrade for your MBPR but your MBPR only supports internal SATA not PCIe so that internal drive has significantly less performance than later MBPR (starting in the late-2013 models).
So what you're saying is that I should go with an external solution for sessions/VI's/samples?
Avid HDio 8×8
MBP Retina 3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB
PT 11 • Izotope Goodness • NI Komplete Ultimate 10
NI Kontrol 61 • Focal CMS 65's
Sound Workshop 34-B Console
'72 Fender Strat • Fender Custom Shop Strat • Bourgeois Slope D Mahogany/Bearclaw • Nordstrand VJ5
Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 PM

I am saying *exactly* what I said earlier. You should test with your current system drive. We have no idea at all what your sessions look like so how could we guess what performance drive is needed.?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdblanchard View Post
Be sure to post how this set up works for you on the road.
I'm looking to get my mobile rig set up in the next month or so and the hard drive dilemma is weighing heavy on my mind...
I definitely will! Mine is the latest version of MBPr (bought a couple of months ago).

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how performance would change between keeping samples/IR's on my system drive (1TB internal SSD), and an external drive of some sort (7200rpm or SSD) for samples/IR's through USB 3?

Also (there's always an also ), Would I benefit from having trim enabler for my computer since it's internal is a 1TB SSD, and would something like this work? http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...tag/ssd-drives

Thanks again everybody!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
I definitely will! Mine is the latest version of MBPr (bought a couple of months ago).

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how performance would change between keeping samples/IR's on my system drive (1TB internal SSD), and an external drive of some sort (7200rpm or SSD) for samples/IR's through USB 3?
Nobody can say because nobody here has *any* clue whatever what you are doing with what type of workload, how large a session, at what sample rate and doing what with what VI/samples.

But in general the internal PCIe based SSD is so fast you need to go to an external Thunderbolt/PCIe based SSD (like the $1k+ Lacie Little Big Disk2 series) to be in the same performance ballpark. So likely if you have the internal SSD space the route to go is just start with everything there and see how it works. If you are pushing large/heavy sessions (well you keep asking about performance...) then you may be especially wasting your time with adding cheap external HDD or SSD and should consider drives like the LBD2 if you do need to go external (for performance reasons). If you just need sample drive capacity with reasonable/more typical laptop workloads, there are lots of good options, including USB3 external SSD... and trim enable generally does not work over USB3 and would not make any practical difference anyhow if the SSD drive is just used for read-only sample drives.

So 1. just go try it, and 2. worry how much total space you also need on the system drive. Space, not IO performance, is usually the decider on these modern PCIe SSD based MBPR systems if you need to go external drive.

Quote:
Also (there's always an also ), Would I benefit from having trim enabler for my computer since it's internal is a 1TB SSD, and would something like this work? http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...tag/ssd-drives
Trim Enabler makes no difference for Apple supplied SSDs, they all have trim enabled by default and a third party TRIM enabler utility is not needed and you should not waste time installing it. Only install a trim enabler utility if you have third party SATA or Thunderbolt connected SSDs that are known to work well with TRIM (which is effectively every good high-performance SSD nowadays).
Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdblanchard View Post
So what you're saying is that I should go with an external solution for sessions/VI's/samples?
That drive is at least as fast as the externals, but if it becomes a problem for you, the recommendation of DR was to buy late-2013 or later retina MBP that (by today's standards) has unbelievable fast SSD.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:43 PM

Hi just confirming from my previous thread that LaCie little big disk 2 works just fine with Trim Enabler. No installation problems.
iMac 5k-Yosemite 10.10.1 PT 11.3 HD. Screaming fast!