Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Default 11R not recognized/not connected

So here's a head scratcher. Recently had my NEW late 2017 iMac (replacement for one that was stolen in a burglary) brought back from the Genius Bar after we had to completely rebuild the file system (for whatever reason, out of the box there was no volume created under the Fusion Drive). Get it back, reinstall all my software and what not (confirmed there's a valid volume under the Fusion Drive now).

System info:

Brand new 27" Retina iMac
32GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive (with external 1TB Glyph SSD)
macOS 10.13.6
i5 Quad chipset

Troubleshooting checklist so far:

-installed and reinstalled latest driver from Avid --> OK
-confirmed driver is installed --> OK
-turned off 11R and powered back on --> OK
-turned off 11R, d/c'd power cable for 15sec, powered back on --> OK
-checked physical usb connection on back of 11R --> OK
-checked physical USB connection on back of iMac --> OK
-changed USB port on back of iMac --> OK

NONE of these things make the 11R show up as a connected device. I cannot select it as an audio interface/playback engine in either Pro Tools, Logic, Maschine, or Ozone 8.

Pro Tools DOES see the 11R because the 11R options in the edit window are visible and when I change a patch, it changes on the 11R unit.

My inclination is that this is an OS/driver problem. There must be a bug. Anyone else having this issue, and if so, does anyone know when Avid plans to fix it? It's not a stoppage for me since my primary interfaces are Apollos, but it's enough to drive me nuts.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Re: 11R not recognized/not connected

Please check out avid.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/My-Audio-Interface-cannot-be-detected-by-macOS-10-13-High-Sierra and let us know if that doesn't help.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:28 PM

FWIW, I gave up on my ER for ages with similar issues ... until the following worked for me: with everything (Mac and interface) powered-up and already connected, try ‘hot’ unplugging the USB from the computer and plugging the cable back in again.

I actually got an Apogee Groove headhone DAC just for listening/mixing/VIs due to my iissues with ER + convenience/quality ... but found it also ‘disappeared’ routinely maybe after a few days and the same fix works (BTW, Apogee consider this normal).

Good luck! :)
Old 10-02-2018, 03:08 PM

If it is not the driver security problem Jeffro pointed at already then it will likely be that you have allowed the computer to sleep/suspend when the Eleven Rack is connnected and powered on. That may happen as well while you are debugging other problems so reboot the computer and make sure power saving is disabled.

If you need more help... It’s of almost no help to tell us totally fluffy stuff like “confirmed driver is installed”... what do you even mean by that? Checked the driver ext file is in the right directory? What one? Checked that kextstat showed the driver loaded in the kernel....???