Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Importing audios exported from DP has weird infos

Hi there,
In my workflow, I normally have an audio track in the DP project to record what I composed in DP(with buses), instead of bouncing. and then, I right click that recorded audio and choose Export audio files so I can get it in My Finder.
Next step is put that into Pro Tools, or my client will do that.
If I drag into Pro Tools, the length becomes longer everytime (sample rates are always 48hz)(maybe it's because PT detect the Speed info in that audio track), and it appears with a triangle icon in Pro Tools next to the audio, sometimes even with different 2 green triangle showing the start positions, or sometimes Pro Tools add a "Poly Poly" in the name, very weird.
If I choose the import in menu of PT, it shows the audio file I exported from DP actually contains 2 audio tracks...
I wish I can upload an attachment to show, but when you create a new empty project in DP, just write some speed in conductor track , record audio in audio track , right click to export it, and no matter you drag or import into PT, you'll see what I mean.
So I'm trying to determine which Software should I adjust?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Importing audios exported from DP has weird infos

When I do bring audio from DP into PT I never use the export function in DP but just import the track's audio direct into PT via PT's Finder access. Or I'll drag the audio into PT via Finder. All my work is 44.1 KHz.

Where are you seeing those triangles - in the track header name, clip list, in the actual track? DP might be giving non-interleaved tracks - never seen what you're seeing because I work a different way.

Which exact DP and PT versions are you using and on what exact OSX? DP9.02 (although 9.52 does the same) and PT 11.3.2

BTW it's easy to put screen shots up with a post. Just make sure there legible enough as too many people put up small fuzzy shots.

QAPLA!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
When I do bring audio from DP into PT I never use the export function in DP but just import the track's audio direct into PT via PT's Finder access. Or I'll drag the audio into PT via Finder. All my work is 44.1 KHz.

Where are you seeing those triangles - in the track header name, clip list, in the actual track? DP might be giving non-interleaved tracks - never seen what you're seeing because I work a different way.

Which exact DP and PT versions are you using and on what exact OSX? DP9.02 (although 9.52 does the same) and PT 11.3.2

BTW it's easy to put screen shots up with a post. Just make sure there legible enough as too many people put up small fuzzy shots.
I'm on Sierra. DP 9.52, PT 12.8
If you don't export that, how do you get that out into Finder?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
I'm on Sierra. DP 9.52, PT 12.8
If you don't export that, how do you get that out into Finder?
Easy - I just look in the audio files folder inside the DP session folder and the audio is there. Either use the PT import function or drag it into the PT session from that folder.

QAPLA!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Easy - I just look in the audio files folder inside the DP session folder and the audio is there. Either use the PT import function or drag it into the PT session from that folder.

When you drag into PT, my PT will add "Poly Poly" to the name, and the length is not the same!

Try it yourself!
Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
When you drag into PT, my PT will add "Poly Poly" to the name, and the length is not the same!

Try it yourself!
Just tried it. When I use the import audio function in PT the file imports okay but slightly longer (approx 1.3 seconds) and no name change. If I use drag and drop from Finder and have PT create a new track it comes up with elastic audio enabled with the track WAY longer than it should be. If I use the revert function after disabling EA it shrinks down to the same length as when using import and I see two green triangles at waveform start.

If I do an export soundbite from DP and use the import audio function in PT it comes in the correct length. If I do a drag and drop from Finder when the tracks shows in PT again it comes up with EA enabled. Again if I disable EA and do a revert I get a file of the correct length (like in DP) and I also get the two green triangles at the beginning of the waveform.

At no time do I get a name change - the tracks comes in the same name as it was in DP.

edit for additional:
The added length of the file is at the end of the file/waveform. Easy enough to trim off. And I found an explanation on the two green triangles - it was in a thread you started. See here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2481312

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 06-15-2018 at 04:36 AM. Reason: additional info