Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Noisy Control Room / Monitor Section

Hi,
I have a rarely used 002 rack that has began to acquire noisy gain pots. When Adjusting the knobs, a scratchy sound comes through. Like an old dirty Hi-Fi. This unit is less than a year old and the problem began within 6 months. I also have a slightly older (2Years) command 8 that has the same problem on the Control room / Monitor Section. It is definitly a flaw in the design and I am wondering if Digi has addressed this problem as a manufactures defect? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Noisy Control Room / Monitor Section

I have a Command 8 that's maybe 3 months old. The monitor section is dirty as hell. They must use some really crappy pots.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM

took less than 3 months for my pot to get scratchy
Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 AM

Both my 002R & Command|8 are fine & I have had them well over 12 months…

I wonder if there is something you guys have in common that is causing the fault?

Are you running it in a Smoky or Smoke Free Room?
Are they in Dusty rooms?
Are the rooms Damp or Humid?

If you all have one of the above in common, it might lead us to find what is causing the fault…

Cheers

N
Old 03-19-2007, 07:37 PM

I bought my command|8 yesterday and the pot was noisy out of the box! Does anyone know of a *safe* cleaning product for it?
Command|8
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 AM

Scratchy monitor section here as well... smoke free studio... practically a dentists office. I tried to open my Command 8 up to clean the pot out, but due to the design, it's burried underneath every circuit board the command 8 has. It doesn't look like there is a safe way to access it. Has Anyone been able to fix this?? It's rather embarassing to have clients ask if things are recorded with scratching in them, because everytime I grab the volume pot my tweeters get fried.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Avid

Anyone experiencing this should contact Tech Support by phone to get these serviced.

Obviously if you're within the 1 year hardware warranty, the repair is free. We'd really like to see these and determine if there is something fundamentally wrong with the monitor pot, as this seems like an excessive number of reports of this issue.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 AM

Just going to add a 'me too' as well. Developed the crackling sound probably at about a year old, although it does not see heavy, everyday use.

It's out of warranty now, I don't really want to pay for a repair just yet, but I'd like to know if it is a design fault.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:07 AM

The control pots being noisey on the C|8 is a known digi issue. I have an RA from digi for mine to be repaired under warranty. Although I have not had it done yet. Out of warranty units will cost you £70 + VAT for the privilege. I have a pair of brand new KRK powered monitors and they crakle like mad, it's only when i have them attached to the C|8, also my beyer DT100's are the same. I have put both of them through a different desk and they are fine. I'd get in touch with Digi, they will get it repaired. I've been quoted about 7-10 days ( I live 15 minutes from their repair centre in North London) for it to be turned around. I've been waiting until i go away on tour or holiday before i get it fixed.

S

2.5Ghz Quad G5/6.5Gb RAM/250Gb/300Gb
OS 10.4.8
PT LE 7.1/Production Tool Kit
Reason 3.0.5 / Drums kits / Pianos
Recycle 2.1
002r
C|8
KRK Rokit

Mac Intel 2.93Ghz 12 core - 64gb RAM - OS 10.12 - PT 12 HD Native - Lynx Aurora 16 - Lynx Aurora 8 - UAD Quad - Logic, VEP 6
_____

Spark moderator & beta test for Arturia
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Quick Fix: Noisy Control Room / Monitor Section

I have not had a chance to send my C|8 for repair due to work, however, I have temporarily fixed the problem. A coworker bought me a can of DeoxIT D5 which after one squirt cleaned up the pot. So far so good! No scratches at all!

If you are too busy to have your C|8 sent away for a week this might be the ticket...
Command|8