Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Waves and the New Mac Pro with Dual GPUs

Is anyone out there running Waves plugins on a new 2013 Mac Pro?

I was reading this thread:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=344809&page=8

... and post #73 got me wondering if Waves could even run on the new 2013 Mac Pro, with it's unsupported dual graphics cards.

So, I emailed Waves directly, and the response wasn't encouraging... unless, of course, I want to buy SoundGrid... which I don't. A few rooms upgrading to HDX will be a big enough expense, thanks.

Directly from Waves:
"Waves are not officially supporting dual graphic cards, however this doesn’t mean that it won’t work. If you like to find out you can demo first some of our products and see for yourself if it works or not."

Soooo maybe??? But then, to the more direct question, "Are there plans to support the new 2013 Mac Pro in the future, and if so, what is the timeline?", Waves responded:
"The answer is that currently there is are no plans to support this format."

So, it looks like no matter what DAW you're on, if you've bought into Waves, and you want to run a new MacPro, you may be out of luck.

If anyone has tested Waves on a new MacPro, please let me know the results.

Thanks,
n
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Waves and the New Mac Pro with Dual GPUs

There is absolutely zero guarantee Waves will work on your system. You have to try it out yourself and then never upgrade or update anything. It used to be the other way around, but now they're so in love with their SG they don't see what everyone else wants to do. Which means they also don't see what everyone else wants to buy next. Here's a hint: it doesn't begin with "W".
Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM

I wonder if Apple will offer a single-GPU model some time in the future. Not many Mac users really need two, and this could drive the price down.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Here was the other thing I experienced..."NOT WORK" meant LOCKED THE COMPUTER whenever I tried inserting a Waves plugin. (PT 10/11 Win 7)
Let us know how that works out! (They DID give me my money back when I surrendered the license.)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 PM

I can't believe this from waves they are slowly slipping down the plugin chain. This is a shame because I use alot of their plugs but not realising what the customer wants/expects is like shooting yourself in the foot !!!!!

Shame on you waves!!!!!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Maybe it's time to start a "Working Waves Equivalent" thread in General Discussion....

And list non-Waves replacements for any given Waves plug-in, for the benefit of those who are now (or will soon be) unable to use Waves.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm using plenty of Waves plug-ins with the new Mac Pro and it's flawless. On my last computer I had dual identical graphics cards and ran Waves without any problems. I wonder if there's only a problem if you have 2 different graphics cards?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Nate, how many monitors are/were you using simultaneously? According to the other waves thread, the problem seems to be most prevalent with 2+ monitors.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Nate, that's the kinda news I was hoping to hear. Also curious how many monitors and how they're connected.

I've read conflicting info on whether the Waves problems are due to multiple GPU's or multiple monitors. Pretty sure it's the GPU's, though.

It would be fantastic if Waves would just tell us. They're not very forthcoming in this issue on their website at all, unless you email them directly.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 PM

I run 3 monitors on a older Mac Pro 12 core and have lots of Waves running without issue. I think this problem is driver specific. A friend of mine was able to work around it by loading a different graphic driver for his display. But I don't have any specific details. Glad to hear everything waves is working on the new Mac Pro though! bit of a drag to hear about them turning a blind eye to any potential issues...