Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Default I/O Setup for Mbox 2

The whole I/O thing is throwing me, guys. Does there exist an I/O setup diagram for the Mbox 2?
Every time I start a new session or open an existing session I see the following dialog box: "Your I/O setup has changed since the last tie this session was saved. Check the I/o Setups window to see what's changed. Some paths were made inactive because they could not be assigned to existing path definitions.
Would you like to save a detailed report?"
Then when the session opens my inputs are grayed out and I have to manually adjust the input for each track. This can't be normal.

I go the Setup drop down and look at the I/O settings and I'm just confused. I want to configure it for my old Mbox 2 (blue with "handle") and just ef****** forget about it. I don't want to have to dick with this every time I open a session. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Re: I/O Setup for Mbox 2

1/ Open your I/O window without a session open.
2/ Go through each tab (Input/Output/Busses/Insert…) and delete whatever is listed.
3/ on the Output tab uncheck the box at the bottom of the window labelled "Sessions overwrite I/O"
4/ Hit the Default Button on each tab.
5/ Close the I/O window.

After you do this sessions you open will probably not have active outputs/ inputs etc so you set the session up again to match your outputs before you will hear anything.

More info I've put together here: http://www.cerithomas.com/blog/2012/...-io-setup.html

Hope this helps.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM

Shouldn't be a need to delete everything listed, just option-click the default button and all tabs will be set to the defaults. Then uncheck session overwrite and you should be good to go.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM

That's very handy. Never thought to try option clicking that button.

Nice tip ChuckS!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:04 PM

So Ceri, if I'm to understand you correctly:
"After you do this sessions you open will probably not have active outputs/ inputs etc so you set the session up again to match your outputs before you will hear anything."
Then every time I re-open a session I have to set all of the inputs again. Is that true? Seems odd.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Every time you open a session that didn't originate in your exact configuration you may need to reconfigure.

Sessions you create after you've defaulted the setup will open without issue but if for example someone else sends you a session where output 1-2 has been renamed to "output main monitors" then PT might automagically remap but it might also show as path not available.

Also if your inputs are labelled 1-4 but the session you are using had the inputs labelled Guitar, Bass, vocal, input D then PT may not recognize those inputs correctly.

The I/O setup is actually pretty intelligent but there are flaws (some serious). In general once you've got your setup done then you'll be able to use the remap functionality in the busses page to 'correct' or at least hear all outputs.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Thanks, guys. I think I have a handle on it now. The panic in me is starting to subside.

Peace,

Bri
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM

One more question, though...how do I open the I/O window without a session open? Every time I open Pro Tools it makes me either create a new session or open an existing one. Hmmmmm......
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM

If you just hit cancel that window it will allow you open the I/O window along with some other "global" windows, Preferences etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM

Thank you so much, Ceri. I came 150 miles today. Great advice. I hope others who have this same problem see this thread. It helped me immensely.

God bless, namaste.

Bri