Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 07-16-2020, 04:16 PM

Default S6 and MTRX monitoring - Trinnov Dante Insert?

Can anyone help me wrap my mind around how to route the following through my MTRX with the correct monitor configuration?

My Avid S6 is my monitor controller with a MTRX. I have three stereo Dante inputs:

(1) host DAW Mac Pro for iTunes and the software listening
(2) a DAW on a MBP sometime used for Skype, VOIP...,
(3) Burl B2 Dante for stereo print back.

After those three Im running a 7.1 speaker config from my primary host DAW via Digilink. The 7.1 needs to sum to stereo as appropriate. As soon as my new room is done this will change to a 7.1.4 Atmos config. Not trying to tackle that as of yet.

I need all of these sources to route through the monitor controller to speakers which is no problem. I've got that strait. The new challenge is I've added a Trinnov MC Pro Dante speaker processor for tuning. The S6/MTRX needs to send the selected input to the Trinnov via Dante. The Trinnov will then process and return the signal back to the MTRX via Dante. The speakers are then feed from the MTRX D/A.

For the life of me I'm struggling to get this to work. I can route the individual Dante paths and skip the S6 as a switching controller. My problem is insetting the Trinnov via Dante between the MTRX selected source and speaker output.

Im sure Im over thinking or just having a brain fart... but Im tired and hoping for fresh insight.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 PM

Default Re: S6 and MTRX monitoring - Trinnov Dante Insert?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396511

might be helpful
Old 07-17-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks Luke Howard!

It would definitely be helpful if there was a way to setup an external tuning insert in the monitor config path different than the SPQ.

I believe I figured out an alternate option with my situation. Basically I no longer create a monitor output that sends directly to the DA for the speakers. I now need to have an output that sends to the Trinnov. Leave the Trinnov at unity and then patch the Dante return in the MTRX to the DA outputs that feed the speakers. If headphones are used I switch the output source.

Does anyone in the know have any advice? Is there a smarter way to do this with a Dante processing path?

I created a support ticket with Avid and am hoping someone with S6 MTRX smarts can advise.

Thanks!
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 PM

The only way to have a real insert on the Marx, is using the colinbroad TMC-penta

Wonderful machine, but a pain to configure
Old 02-17-2021, 02:49 PM

Did you ever get this sorted? I’m about to try the same thing except with a Marx studio. Inserting the trinnov with aes/ebu
Old 03-13-2021, 11:13 AM

Hi! If I do get it right, what I would try:

Create a Monitor in Dadman with all your sources.
In the output section of that monitor, create an Output and use Dante to route it out to the Trinnov. This output could be 2.0 or greater depending in what are your needs or what you have.

Create a second monitor in Dadman. As source use the return from Trinnov.
Use the output section to create an 7.1.4 output to the DA card.

Choose this second monitor to be controlled in the S6, so you can mute etc
The first monitor also can be manipulated in S6

Next monday I can show a similar setup in my Dadman. Pm me with your email and I can send a quick video.

Best
-----
Old 03-16-2021, 12:42 PM

Hope this is not too much off topic...
Do you find MTRX SPQ filters worse than Trinnov?
I do have Trinnov and love it, but after putting some work using Smaart and REW I think I achieved similar results to Trinnov- close enough that I even put it on Reverb for sale. So much easier to use Dadman integrated tuning than worrying how to connect Trinnov. Am I missing sth important?
Thanks in advance
Robert
Old 08-21-2021, 10:11 AM

Im curious about this too. Im using studio mtrx and would love to not use the converters in the trinnov. I have not tried using Speaker correction in the MTRX yet but am interested if it can be configured to be close to the trinnov for room correction and managing a 2.0 with 2 subs stereo setup.

Also interested if you can use dante as an insert on a monitor path yet, or if it is even in the works.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:31 PM

I have a similar Atmos setup but with a digital connection to my speakers. After much experimenting I have ended up putting the Trinnov after the MTRX monitor output. It's simple, all digital and I can't hear any difference when monitoring quietly, ie when the Trinnov's receiving a pretty quiet signal. Possibly the same with analogue outputs......