Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Midas M32 and Pro Tools

Indeed as said, HDX and HD/Native cards are essentially a "closed system". The only hardware that can work WITH these cards is hardware that has a digilink connection(which M32 and X32 do not have). Maybe if you explain your needs better, we can offer better advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-22-2017, 05:20 PM

Look Darryl, perhaps you misunderstood. It's clear there needs to be an interface and as mentioned, I already have one. One comes to these forums to learn from others who may have new or other ideas that may help others, like I have done in the past for others. It's obvious that you want to expel your knowledge, but perhaps it might be more beneficial to do so, in a helpful manner for those who may not be as knowledable on the topic, if not what's the point of these forums. Not everyone might is as savvy as you. Perhaps you can share you information in a less sarcastic and less condescending manner. We are all here to learn. Maybe someday you might need help from someone else. Maybe you should seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions. You can't assume everyone knows what you know.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermid View Post
Look Darryl, perhaps you misunderstood. It's clear there needs to be an interface and as mentioned, I already have one. One comes to these forums to learn from others who may have new or other ideas that may help others, like I have done in the past for others. It's obvious that you want to expel your knowledge, but perhaps it might be more beneficial to do so, in a helpful manner for those who may not be as knowledable on the topic, if not what's the point of these forums. Not everyone might is as savvy as you. Perhaps you can share you information in a less sarcastic and less condescending manner. We are all here to learn. Maybe someday you might need help from someone else. Maybe you should seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions. You can't assume everyone knows what you know.
Jesus. !@#$

You have an Omni interface, so what. I know that. I've pointed out the limitations with that to you, and *silence* back no response from you to multiple questions if that 8 IO limit is enough or not. But instead of answering a single question you keep asking more and more confused stuff.

Just stop asking questions and try saying what you need to do.

So again...

How many input channels do you need into Pro Tools from the Midas? (and can you do without the two preamps in the Omni or not?)

Do you need HDX plugin processing in your session when using that Midas mixer inputs?

If you answer those questions folks here can tell you exactly what you need to do to connect stuff.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM

Yes, you can bring your Midas M32 pre’s into Pro Tools HD (either Native or HDX). Cheapest way is DANTE card for M32, and either or both Focusrite REDNET 5 and/or RED4Pre. Both provide 32 IO DANTE bridge to Pro Tools. I’m currently running 32 Pres from M32, 16 Pres from a Presonus RM32AI via DANTE and 16 Pres via ADAT through the RED4Pre for a total of 64 simultaneous recordable IOs. Let me know if I can help you through the setup. MKM
Custom PC Intel 7700K, 64Gb Corsair 2800, Windows 10 Home, Pro Tools HD 2018, Avid Pro Tools Native PCIe, Focusrite REDNET PCIe, Midas M32 w DANTE, Presonus RM32AI w DANTE, Focusrite Saffire 56, Digiman D8, Eureka, REDNET5, RED4Pre, iConnect MIDI4, Rockit 8’s, Yamaha 8’s, JBL 10in Sub,Big Knob, Presonus HP-60, Fender, Gibson, Collings, Martin guitars. Mesa MK V head, Mesa 1x12, 2x12 cabs, AXE-FX XL II, Fender Deluxe, Yamaha Motif XF8, Matrixbrute, Drumbrute, Sub 37, microKorg, Moog MF101/102/103
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Thank You Medevacpilot, you've provided the clearest answer. As you stated, I also want to bring the M32 pre's into the Pro Tools HDX. I'd prefer the HDX route for lower latency. I know the M32 has USB port, but I would think this would have higher latency for high track counts. Didn't know that Focusrite had an option instead of the Dante. Thank you for your help and providing you knowledge. This is what I expect forums to be. Hopefully, one day I can return the favor.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermid View Post
Thank You Medevacpilot, you've provided the clearest answer. As you stated, I also want to bring the M32 pre's into the Pro Tools HDX. I'd prefer the HDX route for lower latency. I know the M32 has USB port, but I would think this would have higher latency for high track counts. Didn't know that Focusrite had an option instead of the Dante. Thank you for your help and providing you knowledge. This is what I expect forums to be. Hopefully, one day I can return the favor.
Hey there,

I was following this thread also thinking of an out of the box approach utilizing Dante.
As Darryl stated, you never really answered some basic questions, so I for one would have never suggested a Dante/Fosrite/Digilink setup as it would add several thousand dollars to the equation.
I think you mistake Darryl's blunt questions for being condescending, but unfortunately on most of these forums, people are afraid to show lack of knowledge or admit lack of budget.... therefor, the only thing left are "blunt questions".
It's a good idea to go get a cup of coffee, beer, twinkie, etc before hitting send on an angry post.
Darryl has done nothing but help everyone out around here....and should not yell "Jesus".

Now both of you....go to your rooms.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM

I know I am repeating some already mentioned info by others here but seeing I have a M32r I thought I would chime in. On the more pricy config you can get a Rednet 5 pretty cheap on ebay around 450.00 as mentioned by others which will work in conjunction with your omni / hdx card acting the same as if you had two HD IOs as the Rednet 5 is 32 channels of IO into pro tools. The Red net would connect to your first digilink on your card and your omni to the second digilink port on the hdx card. Plus you need the dante card for the M32 not cheap like 600 to $700 which then connects to the dante port on the Rednet 5. You can then use all 16 pres on the M32 and your two omni pres into pro tools at the same time. Or add a DL32 stage box and get 32 pres into your system.
Keep in mind that the M32 only works at 48k and 44.1.

Now the cheap way is the ADAT card for the M32 as mentioned which will get you 8 pres from the board into the Omni but you can't use the omni pres in combination in that setup its either or.

The M32 or any X32 / M32 variation remote DAW control is limited to 8 fader banks at a time you cannot use all 16 of the boards faders, the faders are also really noisy when tracking automation at least my M32r is, like scratching up and down noise as the fader tracks the automation on playback. When writing they are very quiet, but in playback its pretty bad but usable and you can just hit the daw remote button to turn it off after you write your automation if you don't want the faders to physically playback. You also do not get a pan control in remote daw mode with the m32. You do get fader, mute, solo. transport control, record ready, track select, bank up and down in groups of 8 channels or bank up and down 1 channels at a time, There are a few more options but I have not yet messed with them that are assignable in the custom assign button section on the board.

Now after saying all that, I ditched my omni and native card and am just using the M32r. It sounds great, it has 16 pres that are remote controllable via iPad or computer and I have the stock USB card, which gives you 32 channels of io to pro tools, limited remote daw functionality via hui but not bad, I also use the Pro Tools control app with my iPad and they work well together Hui and Eucon. The other benefit is you have a mixer not just an interface, when tracking and monitoring off the board and not through pro tools, latency is a non issue as there is virtually non. The board pres go direct to pro tools, no eq or compression gets recorded, its mic pre to disk although with some trickery in the routing section you can use the eq and compression on the board and record it. There are so many great things about this little board. You can do a quick mix and spread 32 tracks across it and use the boards internal processing. You can return a pro tools session on a stereo aux return and mix in the box while also using remote daw and you can also play sound from the computer while pro tools is open and A/B something in iTunes and compare it to your mix as an example, or even at the same time not that you would want to. I often have pro tools and FCPX open at the same time and I don't have to switch to monitor one or the other. The omni you have to run an optical cable from your computer into it to monitor your computer within pro tools its a bit of a pain. Also the one usb connection gives you a midi interface, daw control, computer audio and pro tools return all over the one usb connection and it's rock solid. I do really wish it supported higher sample rates but for the money its a very cool little board. If you want 96k there is always the pro line of Midas boards and the DNS9650 network bridge with Dante.... ah I digress....
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control