Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Why can't you guys just require that the backup license be registered to the same iLok account as the original license in order for it to work? Basically both licenses would have to be registered to the same iLok account for either of them to work!
While I do like that idea, I doubt it ever happens for various reasons. It boils down to this. One license = one computer at a time. You can install pro tools on every computer you want, but can only use it on one of them at a time. If one person needs to use multiple computers they have two options. Two licenses or move the ilok. I personally move the ilok. However if you search you can find some decent deals on "used" licenses.

But if you have a lot of plug-ins you're gonna need a second license for any if those that also use ilok. If you find a plug-in company offering second ilok licenses I'd like to know. The closest I can think of is waves new v9, but I honestly haven't really paid attention to how it works. I just know there's a cloud option that makes it easier to move around.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Is registration on 2 iloks posible ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
If you find a plug-in company offering second ilok licenses I'd like to know.
EWQL offers second iLok assets for Hollywood Strings, Brass, and Woodwinds...they're the only company I know (and deal with) that does this.

I never quite understood the need for a second Pro Tools asset.
If one is doing enough business to need a second rig up and running, it seems that buying an additional license would be appropriate.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
EWQL offers second iLok assets for Hollywood Strings, Brass, and Woodwinds...they're the only company I know (and deal with) that does this.
They offer a second license to all of their products for a discount, as far as I know.

Quote:
If one is doing enough business to need a second rig up and running, it seems that buying an additional license would be appropriate.
I agree. It's all a matter of investment. I mean... if you're willing to buy a second computer, why shouldn't you be willing to buy the necessary software as well?

Some companies are nice enough to give you a few licenses, but they are indeed few. You certainly can't buy a game these days that you can run on two machines at the same time. Most software requires a second license for legal use.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Every time I leave the Ouse with my ilok I have to check my pockets every 5 minutes to make sure I don't loose it !!!! Can u imagine loosing ur ilok at ur local grocery store ????? And some 15 year old picks it up and gets all ur waves plugs ??? CAN U IMAGINE !!!! my slate gone my lexicon reverb - PT9HD - - ilok really needs to have a gps on those things !!!!,! Cause that would be straight up sorry
I can imagine all of those things. That's why I have insurance.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Simple.

Imagine you're mixing a band live using PT, and you only have one iLok with one license. Then imagine some --shole doing some stupid mistake that makes your iLok break and the audience should come in within an hour. I would love to put in a spare iLok with a backup license just to boot PT up and replace most of my mix with stock plugins, compared to having a total nightmare...

I'd love a backup license. Now since PT9 I'd have to buy two
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Simple.

Imagine you're mixing a band live using PT, and you only have one iLok with one license. Then imagine some --shole doing some stupid mistake that makes your iLok break and the audience should come in within an hour. I would love to put in a spare iLok with a backup license just to boot PT up and replace most of my mix with stock plugins, compared to having a total nightmare...

I'd love a backup license. Now since PT9 I'd have to buy two
Or perhaps you should put your iLok in a safer place...? What's simple is that it's not Avid's responsibility to make sure you take care of your iLok. I've had one iLok for 5 years that I took to countless shows, moved between home and studios... I have another one with which I do the same for about 2 years now. I've never felt the need to have a backup iLok immediately at hand.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Imagine you're mixing a band live using PT, and you only have one iLok with one license. Then imagine some --shole doing some stupid mistake that makes your iLok break and the audience should come in within an hour.
Do you have a backup computer with you? How about a backup interface? A backup board/preamps? Backup microphones? A backup singer?

Breaking an iLok is the least likely scenario. It can happen, but it is unusual.

Propellerhead's Reason has a great validation scheme, but I doubt we will ever see Pro Tools do a "key or cloud" licensing. Then again, we all know going in that Pro Tools needs an iLok. Such is life. There are plenty of alternatives.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Can u imagine loosing ur ilok at ur local grocery store ?????
In a word, no.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM

At first I found the whole ilok thing to be a PIA. But, it is a cheap and reliable way to provide a floating license (that is not tied to a specific computer) for your software.

iLok provides the ZDT service and you can purchase a spare ilok. So if your main ilok is lost or broken, you just need access to the internet and presto, your spare ilok is now loaded.

Cloud licensing is interesting, but then, it also requires internet access.
There is no free lunch. I think Avid's approach is reasonable.
So quit whining and take your ilok home with you.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
I can imagine all of those things. That's why I have insurance.
Amen! Another "no brainer" to me. Especially now with the iLok2 being able to hold so many assets. I put all the important stuff on that and bought the ZDT coverage(I have 4 other iLoks, but my world won't end if any or all were to disappear or get broken)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave