Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Default So far so good, BUT..

PT 11 is not BAD, and every day it seems like another of my valued plugins gets ported to 64-bit AAX. (Still holding out for UAudio and Softube and Lexicon and Nomad Factory.)
BUT. I find the whole PT 11 program a bit slow to respond. Just a couple of examples: Hit "play" and wait a few seconds. Do an alt-shift-3 to consolidate, and wait 15 seconds. Same system running 10.3.7 is insanely fast on the same operations. Anybody else experiencing this? Some new undiscovered setting I might be missing? (Running Win 7 Ultimate/ASUS P6T Deluxe, 3.07 i7 processor, 24 gb ram.) It's like it needs a "timeout" to think about what it needs to do.
I CAN do some work on 11, but I get tired of waiting for it.
Wasn't that a hit in the 60s? "So tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting for youuuuu..."
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Default Re: So far so good, BUT..

Spoke too soon! Got that danged "AAE" error trying to do a bounce to disk (NOT offline.)
I did notice that I am unable to change my buffer and CPU-usage settings. (I usually BTD at a higher than normal buffer setting to avoid the "bounce handler could not keep up" error.) Again, this on a system that totally kicks butt running 10.3.7. What am I missing here?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Spoke too soon! Got that danged "AAE" error trying to do a bounce to disk (NOT offline.)
I did notice that I am unable to change my buffer and CPU-usage settings. (I usually BTD at a higher than normal buffer setting to avoid the "bounce handler could not keep up" error.) Again, this on a system that totally kicks butt running 10.3.7. What am I missing here?
Because of the dual buffer system in PT 11 you can only change recording buffer in PT 11. Percentage cpu usage and number of cpu's used is changed automatically within PT11 and the end user can't change that. Off line bounce has been working just fine here; if I'm going to do a regular bounce I record to a new track instead that way I know exactly what I'm getting and it's real time anyways.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:49 AM

I may be wrong here,,,, but I jumped over to Newegg and that ASUS PT6 supports up to 12 gig ram.
I have seen laptops do crazy stuff when users put big memory in them, and windows 7 sees it all, and they run real slow.
See if this is an option!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
PT 11 is not BAD, and every day it seems like another of my valued plugins gets ported to 64-bit AAX. (Still holding out for UAudio and Softube and Lexicon and Nomad Factory.)
BUT. I find the whole PT 11 program a bit slow to respond. Just a couple of examples: Hit "play" and wait a few seconds. Do an alt-shift-3 to consolidate, and wait 15 seconds. Same system running 10.3.7 is insanely fast on the same operations. Anybody else experiencing this? Some new undiscovered setting I might be missing? (Running Win 7 Ultimate/ASUS P6T Deluxe, 3.07 i7 processor, 24 gb ram.) It's like it needs a "timeout" to think about what it needs to do.
I CAN do some work on 11, but I get tired of waiting for it.
Wasn't that a hit in the 60s? "So tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting for youuuuu..."
Did you try to uninstall the floppy drive in the device manager?
Did the trick for me....
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Just did a new build and I was checking the DPC latency with two different DPC checkers, one 32 and the other 64-bit.
Both DPC programs worked the same without PT running or with PT10 running, but the 64-bit program brought PT11 to it's knees.

Worth checking all your drivers for 64-bit versions and checking for a difference in DPC with PT10 and 11 running.

FWIW - PT11 and 10 respond the same on my system and 11 does show some improvement in CPU usage.

Still waiting for Kontact to do a real comp. between 10 and 11.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Just did a new build and I was checking the DPC latency with two different DPC checkers, one 32 and the other 64-bit.
Both DPC programs worked the same without PT running or with PT10 running, but the 64-bit program brought PT11 to it's knees.

Worth checking all your drivers for 64-bit versions and checking for a difference in DPC with PT10 and 11 running.

FWIW - PT11 and 10 respond the same on my system and 11 does show some improvement in CPU usage.

Still waiting for Kontact to do a real comp. between 10 and 11.
Amen on Kontakt. As far as cpu usage has anybody noticed if PT11 really spreads the load about the cpus? On the system in my sig file PT 11.0.2 seems to use cpu 4 (of 8) 3 to 4 times more than any of the other cores.

QAPLA!