Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Mac OS strange behavior

None of the other Mac computers I've worked with and with the same OS version does this.

This is a G4, dual 1Mhz running OS 9.2.1.

Every time I save, open, export or import anything (and also happens on any other application in this computer) I'm taken to the desktop level. Even if I just did an operation on a certain folder (like bouncing or exporting) and then immediately repeat the same operation, I'll be taken to the desktop level again.

I've checked the "General Controls" control panel and made sure that in the "Documents" section, the "Last folder used in the application" option is checked.

I've trashed these system preferences already: "General Controls Prefs", "Mac OS Preferences" and "Finder Preferences" with no success yet.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated!

Rodolfo Fernandez

Peace for everyone
Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Mac OS strange behavior

BUMP
Old 05-19-2003, 10:58 AM

Are you having any issues with the "Recent Applications" or "Recent Items" options in the Apple menu (ie. they aren't updating)?

I was having a similar problem to yours as well as the recent file problem right before my system (9.2.1) crapped out. Things were getting progressively more whacked out as time went on until I was frequently crashing and couldn't take it anymore. I tried running Norton Utilities but it didn't seem to help at all. Trashing prefs didn't seem to help either.

Had to wipe the drive and reinstall everything.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:22 PM

Well, any other operations are perfectly normal. Have no crashes or slow performance.

What I'm finding in common here is you also have 2 internal hard drives, and I'm thinking the problem might have started around the time I installed the second drive.

Could this mean something?

Another thing that might be particular in this setup is that I run OS 9.2.1 most of the time, and have OS X on a separate partition of the same drive. I haven't ran into any conflicts since the OSes are installed on independent partitions, but now I'm wandering if this could have anything to do with the problem described at the beggining of this post.

Peace for everyone
Old 05-19-2003, 01:59 PM

Well, any other operations are perfectly normal. Have no crashes or slow performance.

What I'm finding in common here is you also have 2 internal hard drives, and I'm thinking the problem might have started around the time I installed the second drive.

Another thing that might be particular in this setup is that I run OS 9.2.1 most of the time, and have OS X on a separate partition of the same drive. I haven't ran into any conflicts since the OSes are installed on independent partitions, but now I'm wandering if this could have anything to do with the problem described at the beggining of this post.

Peace for everyone
Old 05-19-2003, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mixaudio:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think that having a second internal drive should cause any problems. I actually installed the second internal after experiencing my problems. The degradation of performance issue happened twice to me-- first time a couple months after I was running 9.2.2 (exclusively-- no OSX) and a second time while running 9.2.1 (still no OSX). The second time it took about 9 months before it got real annoying.

After the second time I installed OS 10.2.4

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't have any experience with running the two OS'es on separate partitions but, I'm guessing that that may be where the problem is. Are you starting up in OSX and running Classic mode or starting up right from your 9 partition?
---
c
Old 05-20-2003, 07:35 AM

I'm always using OS 9.2.1 and starting up from that partition.

Never use the Classic mode in OS X. In fact... I made this partition for OS X to run it now and then and get familiar with it. I'm starting to think I might better get rid of OS X until I'm ready for PT 6.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:07 AM

Do you have any particular reason why you don't want to upgrade to 9.2.2?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:42 AM

Supposedly, 9.2.2 has no real improvements beyond improved stability while running in classic mode out of X, which in your case, wouldn't be much help.

Your situation is definitely odd. Since both operating systems are on completely different partitions, and are not running simultaneously, I don't see how one could be causing a conflict with the other. The only thing left that I can think of may be when you installed X and it updated the driver for the disk.

If that's the case, you'd likely have to reformat the drive and update the drivers back to the old ones from your 9 install disk. Not sure it's worth it-- I guess it depends on how much the problem is bugging you.
---
c