Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

A musician feels latency when Native plugins remain active on the record track when recording or are placed on the master bus in the same situation. The only way around this is to run at an unrealistically low buffer setting. I don’t care what anyone says but no modern computer is fast enough to run a fully mixed session at a buffer setting that is low enough to achieve no latency being perceived. This is not possible on a Native based system and is even harder to accomplish on a DSP based system.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Why? If you have 64 buffer at 96kHz it's just as good as TDM
This has been my experience.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
A musician feels latency when Native plugins remain active on the record track when recording or are placed on the master bus in the same situation. The only way around this is to run at an unrealistically low buffer setting. I don’t care what anyone says but no modern computer is fast enough to run a fully mixed session at a buffer setting that is low enough to achieve no latency being perceived. This is not possible on a Native based system and is even harder to accomplish on a DSP based system.
I can understand where you are coming from. Yes, when tracking with HD Native, you have to watch what you put on your master buss. My question, how often is that a real issue? Only likely if doing tracking/overdubs late in the mix stage.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Ok, this sounds good, and i can use a ton of zero latency native plugins for monitoring..

but, in the real world, how reliably does 96k at 64 samples work when 64 inputs are enabled? The cpu load i mean?
Come on, how often are you a recording 64 inputs? Dude, I’d bet at most you most likely never do more than 24, if I’m wrong, link your studio to your reply and let us take a look. It’s incredibly rare for most studios to need to track more than 32 at a time and I’d say it’s more likely to be around 24 on average.

On a side note, my 12 core MP can do what your asking and not break a sweat, I, like the vast majority, never need to ask it to when tracking!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
I can understand where you are coming from. Yes, when tracking with HD Native, you have to watch what you put on your master buss. My question, how often is that a real issue? Only likely if doing tracking/overdubs late in the mix stage.
We “mix as you go” from the very beginning of tracking so we always have plugins on the master bus, which is routed to an audio track for recording the mix. This is a common situation for anyone who “mixes as they go”. Unfortunately, this can’t be done on a Native system unless you use outboard gear which would be a pain in the butt to recreate if you had to move from one studio to another.