Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Is there a way to view different tracks in edit vs. mix?

I'd like to only view some selected aux and master tracks in the mix window, while continuing to view all the tracks in edit (working with dual monitors). I know you can choose to view some track aspects differently in the separate windows, but can't find how to (if possible) keep which tracks are viewable separate. I'm sure there's a workaround for me if it's not possible, but let's start with that question. thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to view different tracks in edit vs. mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I'd like to only view some selected aux and master tracks in the mix window, while continuing to view all the tracks in edit (working with dual monitors). I know you can choose to view some track aspects differently in the separate windows, but can't find how to (if possible) keep which tracks are viewable separate. I'm sure there's a workaround for me if it's not possible, but let's start with that question. thanks
No. Memory Locations with show/hide tracks checked is the work around.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:47 PM

Thanks I wasn't finding it in the manual--just wanted to confirm.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:02 AM

To further what Drew said, show/hide track memory locations combined with windows configurations will do what you want. Use the show/hide track memory location to control which tracks are displayed and check the box to associate it with a particular window configuration. Use the window configuration to control whether the mix or edit window displays.

In theory, this is a fantastic way of organizing your sessions.

I say "in theory" because show/hide track memory locations are useless to me and have been useless to me for several years due to a long-standing bug that Avid has been told about (in at least two support tickets, by me) but hasn't yet fixed as of 2018.4:

If you save a session in playlist view, all of your meticulous work creating track show/hide memory locations is corrupted. Specifically, the wrong tracks display and its a random, garbled mess. It affects automatic backups that are saved in the background as you work as well, so there is no way to recover your show/hide track memory locations through import session data.

As long as you do not save your session while in playlist view, you are good. For me, playlist view is an essential part of my workflow and I save habitually after great takes or major edits. In the heat of creative inspiration, I cannot be bothered to remember to put all tracks in waveform (or other) track view before each Command+S.