Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Default C|24 vs D-Command w/ fader expansion pack

I currently use a Pro Control and fader expansion pack with Pro Tools 10 and I would really like to use the new Pro Tools but I don't think Neyrincks V-Control is for me cause I want full use out of my control surface (not a crippled version). I'm thinking about getting a C|24 (not the control24) or an original D-Command with a fader expansion pack cause I really want 24 channels. Looking around I see I can get either for about the same price used. Which would you guys go for if you could get either? And a few good reasons if possible Thank you!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Re: C|24 vs D-Command w/ fader expansion pack

No contest. Advanced automation on the D-Command is much easier to get to. If Preview and Capture are part of your workflow, it's a little fiddly to get to those functions on the C|24. Also, I don't think C|24 has VCA spill. D-Command is an overall better surface. Compact, very professional, dedicated spill zones and EQ and Dyn knobs. C|24 is too big.

But before you buy anything, check out S3/Dock. Yes, it's only 16 channels, but I think it's a better design overall. I'm really happy with mine and wouldn't trade it for a 24-fader D-Command.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 PM

I vote D-Command, even just a main 8 fader unit, as Nathaniel said, all the dedicated centre section for eq and dynamics, vca spill and custom fader sets make workflow so much faster. Also works with latest PT2019, don't think the C24 does?
I've seen some crazy deals going on ebay for Blue D commands recently, all in the US though, no good for me at the bottom of the earth, but great choice if you don't want to spend the cash for an s3 dock combo.
Sometimes when we are alone I put my hand on the armrest of mine and whisper "I love you".

Last edited by Led; 06-20-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 AM

Led:

Ha! I love it. Actually C|24 does work with the latest Pro Tools, it's Control|24 that doesn't.

And I'll make a counter-argument here. D-Command's faders are quieter than S3, D-Command is overall a little more rugged than S3, and D-Command never crashes. Eucon has been very stable for me recently, but once in a while you get a quirk. The old D-Commands just go and go...
Old 06-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post

But before you buy anything, check out S3/Dock. Yes, it's only 16 channels, but I think it's a better design overall. I'm really happy with mine and wouldn't trade it for a 24-fader D-Command.
100%
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Well, I loves my C24 (perfect size/profile/functionality for me), but no question a D-Command is a more full-featured surface.

I think we're all assuming you know both those surfaces are discontinued and will shortly be unsupported? If I were buying a new surface now (which I will be shortly), I'd be buying an S3 and a dock - all the new control surface features going forward will only be supported on that and an S6 - the S6 is great to work on, but not financially feasible for most one-person shops. OTOH, if you'd like to buy my C24, lemme know!

hope that helps

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-01-2019, 04:31 PM

Love my C|24.

Just sayin'