Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Default The operating system held off interrupts for too long...

Hi, brand new here, and running into a road block with PT (7.0).
I'm running a 002 rack on a P4 3.0 GHZ processor, 3 gb RAM.

Never had any problems, but after a 12 hour straight recording session I got the error message :
"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the “HW/Buffer Size” in the Playback Engine panel. (-6086)"

If only it were that simple. Changing the buffer size won't do anything, changing from 2-1 processor and the percentage usage wont help, I've tried everything in that respect. Rebooting, defragging, or any other system maintenance didn't help. I tried running the session off of one of my external drives and changed the disk allocation entirely to it, and it helped a bit, I could get playback for maybe half a song before the error popped up, but I still don't have a chance at bouncing anything. And this is even with a 2 track song with no plugs.

I was only running off of 1GB of RAM and recently upgraded to 3GB and it still had no effect.

I'm in the middle of recording 2 albums for clients and I can't get playback for more than a minute!

Anyone who can fix this can have have my first born. Or my kidney. Or my first borns kidney.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Re: The operating system held off interrupts for too long...

Your first born KIDNEY?? Seriously, since this is a new problem that cropped up after a 12 hour session, I would seriously worry that the hard drive may be on the way out. I highly recommend you back up everything on the audio drive immediately(just in case). Maybe migrate some(like the stuff you are working on now) sessions to a new drive and see if that helps. One thing that will kill a drive is heat(and a 12 hour session will create plenty). If your audio drive is internal, do you have good airflow thru the case? If the drive is external, what kind of drive case is it? If it is a plastic case, it probably is poor at getting rid of heat. My 3 plastic cased drives from WD have been undependable for audio(1 crashed at 6 weeks old and another started acting weird after a few hours) so I only use those for transfer and backup. Anyway, I hope I am wrong but you will never regret having your stuff backed up(as Craig Anderton says, "it isn't truely backed up unless it exists in 3 places).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 AM

Delete the Digidesign databases from every HD partition, the preferences (from c:\documents and settings\your name\Application Data\Digidesign - you have to reset your preferences manualy and adjust everything as you want it) and the wavecache file (inside the projects folder).

Hope that helps. It helped me in the past. No need for kidneys here.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM

I also get the "the operating system....(-6086) that hundreds of others have been getting over the past couple years as well. For what it's worth, I deleted all the digidesign databases suggestion as suggested to fix another problem (it didn't fix that problem either.) I checked to see that my hardrives were the right format. It seems that the number of stumped individuals with this problem have it with Macs, PCs, versions of 6 and 7 protools, and even different interfaces such as the 002, 003 and mbox.
Anyway, I run a intel I mac core 2 duo 2.16 processor, 1 gig of ram. I record onto a glyph GT 050 hard drive. I don't usually have trouble when I am playing tracks, but I constantly have this problem when using Kontact, and Battery as plugins. The problem occurs even when there are very few tracks, plugins, ect. I know that I could benefit from a bit more ram, but it seems outrageous that that my setup couldn't handle the small bit that I am expecting it to do. Actually, I sometimes have trouble with the program shutting down unexpectedly.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:52 AM

Not sure if the 12 hours matter, i have a brand new PC, 6gigs of ram, 1TB harddrive, got it nov 18 2009 and installed pro tools on it about a month ago and the first day i did a session i got this error and to this day i cant fix it, i tried changing my buffer size but only get a major delay and when i record and still get that error again. PLEASE HELP ME TOO
Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 AM

In my experience this error is usually caused by certain plugins. See if you can narrow it down to one single plugin by trial and error, then contact the plugin manufacturer about this.

$.02,

-- dj!

Edit: oops, I seem to have missed the "even on a song with no plugs" parton first reading. Unfortunately in that case I'm clueless as well. :)
Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 AM

Here is a strange thing about this error. I have an Mbox 2 Pro (firwire) at work and an Mbox 2 mini at home. The firewire unit gives me this error at least once a day, the USB never does. Both are running 8.0.1 on XP (go figure)
Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM

All those with the '6086' error:

Read the General Troubleshooting thread, if you still have problems:?

Make your own thread

Post a SANDRA report

You might then get a reply to the problem.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:49 PM

In MY experience:
1. A P4 isn't enough horsepower to even run PT 6.x, let alone 7.
B. These are typically the errors encountered when trying to record to the system drive. You need a dedicated separate drive for audio.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Hi
Here's my experience on the issue:
After trying the obvious solutions, basically some of the ones mentioned on the thread, I decided to get in touch directly with avid. Unfortunately they do not offer the due technical support to their customers if based in Greece, so I had to purchase the support. Anyway, finally I managed to talk with their rep. He asked me the standard questions about my pro tools version OS and PCU types.
At first he proposed that I upgrade to version 8.05 from 8.03 that I have currently installed, but then the other thing he suggested was to install PC wizard 2010 on my machine in order to enable us detect the type of motherboard inside the machine.

I have a rather old PCU, Pentium 4, so I guess this is what made him think about the motherboard compatibility, anyway I ran the software and when I passed him the model of motherboard, he confirmed that this was causing the 6086 problems and the upgrade to .05 would not help with that.
The only solution is to change to a new motherboard, of more modern type.

He also advised that unless someone technically savvy could take care of the task , it would be safer to combine this with a new processor, preferably intel i5 or i7. They do not have an official list with recommended motherboards and processors but mentioned that the forum is a good place to search.

Good luck
Alexandros