Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-19-2002, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Is Digidesign and Apple

Quote:
The ones who own PT TDM for PC are just trust fund kids who think they are the next great producer, living off of dads money
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a mac and I am no trust fund kid, but where did you come up with this stream of rhetoric.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:37 AM

Ok, ok, I'm not afraid that Windoze machines take over Macs or something...
The thing is, as you guys said, almost ALL the PRO faciiities that runs TDMs/HDs, run Macs right? Cool...
\but we're tralking about LE.... that's where Digi is advertising their PC products...
I just hate the idea that PT will merge to X on HD first and only after a looong while, our LE comes out...
Old 09-19-2002, 08:57 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, believe it or don't, there are many people as passionate about their PC's as many of us are about Macs. We want to be able to offer them a Pro Tools product as well. Our PC products, in the past, were not up to par for a PC Promo tour, that's not the case anymore.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't doubt this a bit......but you may want to contact the Digi web architect and inform them that having all of the M$ OSes listed and then Other instead of Macintosh in the Profile is probably not too bright.
Might also want to ask them to add the G4 and Mac to the other lists of choices. If there were a webmaster e-mail address, rest assured I'd be right there knee deep in suggestions.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
I just ordered a new Mac for my own Pro Tools system two days ago, and I'll most likely be purchasing a PC very soon (as soon as I figure out which one to get).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">your choices are clear, grasshopper....
Old 09-19-2002, 08:45 PM

I have 2 "stylish" Macs (G4) and 1 PC that smokes the two of them TOGETHER, and for me, it's come down to this:
My PC gives 2X the PERFORMANCE of the Macs per half the price.

P.S.:Sorry but, I'd take performance over style any day.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel_p:
I have 2 "stylish" Macs (G4) and 1 PC that smokes the two of them TOGETHER, .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please tell us how you're running Pro Tools LE on two G4's together...there's been a lot of discussion about this, but I've never heard that it was possible. I would think if you're actually doing this, you'd be able to do 64 tracks on your Macs, so I'm guessing that you've also found a way to run 128 tracks in LE on your PC, since it's doing twice the job at half the price...
Please share your knowledge with us.
kc
Old 09-20-2002, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steak:
Only thing is, REAL protools(as inn TDM, HD, and Mix) are nearly completely Mac. The is NO pro recording facility running windoze. NONE.
The ones who own PT TDM for PC are just trust fund kids who think they are the next great producer, living off of dads money.

You are looking at the 'now' moment. Windoze is still windoze '95. Not much has changed. Mac has gone to a completely different level. Microsoft will undoubtebly copy it in a year or two, but it will be the normal crap.

PT, and PT le for mac os x are nearly here. Wait a bit, and get a real system, rather than a temporary patch, which is what microsoft has produced since its inception.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I always enjoy reading these asinine statements made with such conviction.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John H:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just wish I saw the same enthusiasm from Digi about OS X.

Most responses from Digi about Mac issues..performance..etc..OS X..support...etc...get a reply that reads like some lawyers litigous response.

We support OS X because we are an apple developer (yaaawwwn) and Apple is moving to OS X.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You did read the post from Jon didn't you ?

particularly this bit :

Quote:
We've got a HUGE amount of time invested in OS X development, an extremely large Mac userbase and very extensive Third Party Support and vice versa, including Emagic and Apple, on Mac, it would be worse than a poor decision to drop Macs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There's you're enthusiasm from Digi about OS X

I think it's apple's fault for shipping an incomplete OS in the first place, notice all the graphics apps have been out for quite a while but audio has only just started to take off since jaguar came out and coreAudio and coreMidi are now working.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, no I didn't read his post before posting mine...I had started to respond..and got busy with the door (ring, ring, ring)..and came back to finish my thought. So, it posted after.

But, as a follow up, I was speaking of "enthusiasm"...not responsibility or being prudent.

It's one thing to say...we've got a lot tied up in it..so we can't leave...or.it wouldn't be prudent to leave. It' s another thing to say...we think Macs and OS X are GREAT...and things are looking good.

Enthusiasm. Excitement. Some feeling that they feel it's a "good" thing. Not just an obligatiion, prudent for business or because they "have" to.

That's what I meant.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:39 AM

My 2cents:

MACs are great, but for the cost consious buyer, PC's are a great deal less costly. That will appeal to many people who are interested in LE... who are most likely to be cost conscious and cannot afford full blown protools. Protools does well to be focusing their marketing in this area I think.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:25 AM

Just a question (and a little gasoline on this ridiculous fire - it's Friday and I'm just in the mood) -

Why are the Windoze folks always so stinkin' defensive? I mean, I develop graphic arts RIP tools on Win 2K and Sun platforms - they're good number crunchers. For my home studio and for the design stuff (Illustrator, Flash, PhotoShop) I like the Mac - it's a more comfortable creative environment.

But that's just me. If you like your Digi on the PC - enjoy! Storming over to the Mac side of the DUC to pick a fight is just, well, kind of Bill Gates-ish. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Digi's gotten to a point where the PC and Mac sides are pretty much at par - be happy, head into your studio, write a new song! Oh, and deal those IRQ conflicts (sorry, I couldn't resist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Peace

K