Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Notes beyond the clip

From time to time, I get this annoying problem in which Pro Tools puts notes outside of the clip. It happens when pasting. The only way I know of resolving it is deleting all the clip copies on that track and duplicating. However, this isn't always practical.

See the violet clip:

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Notes beyond the clip.JPG (40.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Notes beyond the clip

Ah yes this is the old “rounding problem”. If you zoom right in you’ll probably find the notes are just about in the clip, even if you’ve quantised the bejesus out of them. Why? Who knows...

It can happen the other way round as well of course, where notes are missing at the start of the clip, because they’re considered part of the clip that came before. Frustrating beyond belief.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanks, midnightrambler, for confirming it's not me!

The notes shouldn't be there at all. They appear to be the start of another copy that I haven't created. I can't believe this has never been dealt with.

I'm also getting this shaded area at the join. Unless it's there for a reason, this one is purely a visual error:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shaded Clip.JPG (12.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Curious what version you're on. I haven't seen this in a while. Perhaps I've been lucky.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Curious what version you're on. I haven't seen this in a while. Perhaps I've been lucky.

C
Pro Tools (standard version) 2018.10 now. I had the problem in 2018.7. Windows 10 Home.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:09 PM

In case anyone struggles with this. The best workaround I've found, which most minimizes the risk of damage, is to consolidate every clip on the affected track and then separate them as desired. I had four tracks with this problem.

I wish Avid would get this fixed. It's been an intermittent problem ever since I started using Pro Tools. It isn't right that an expensive DAW which purports to be the industry standard and the professional choice, has such embarrassing and time-consuming errors.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:02 PM

It's an orrible bug that appeared since PT12 while PT11 is free from this. Sample rounding is an old issue but while in the past affected only audio material, since PT12 affects midi material as well. This causes double notes when clips overlaps themselves or sometimes it eats some notes. Terrible. I went back to PT11 because of this. Opened an asc about this but they don't know when and if this will be fixed. It prevents to work with midi clips. For those like me who works with dance and pop working without midi clips is impossible. I will not renew the plan because of this.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post
In case anyone struggles with this. The best workaround I've found, which most minimizes the risk of damage, is to consolidate every clip on the affected track and then separate them as desired. I had four tracks with this problem.

I wish Avid would get this fixed. It's been an intermittent problem ever since I started using Pro Tools. It isn't right that an expensive DAW which purports to be the industry standard and the professional choice, has such embarrassing and time-consuming errors.
It happens when samples and ticks do not match. If you work at 48khz at 120 bpm this doesn't happen. But while it could make sense when working with audio material I don't understand why it happens also on midi material since PT12. Terrible
Old 10-29-2018, 02:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm also experiencing this, and I wonder if it's the same thing that is affecting copying/pasting clips and being off the grid by a few samples?

I have never had to worry or double check if my regions/clips(Audio&Midi) are on Grid when copying and pasting. This is very frustrating and it has become a workflow killer for me within Pro Tools. Cubase and Logic worked perfect in this area regardless of what sample rate I worked in.

I've seen others on the forum experience this issue, so this is definitely something Avid needs to fix, IMHO.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 10-30-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Clear View Post

I am working on a session thats primarily midi based right now. THIS is the workaround. Also there is still the bug where you can't delete the note in note view or in the midi editor but its random! I also still see where you duplicate a note by option dragging, it will delete the note your are copying from after the drag and drop. But this one is the worst. Especially when in clip view and you are doing an arrangement. It will not take certain notes when moving the midi clips. Play back in front of the client after a quick move.......Client says "Where is the sound?"

These bugs have been around for YEARS! its embarrassing in front of clients. You look like the fool.... Its not a plugin, its not the system. Its ProTools.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.