Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-24-2015, 06:49 PM

Default CPU spikes after plugin insert

This has been happening for awhile now, I can keep thinking a PT update will fix it and it doesn't. No difference in behavior from 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 or 12.3.1

The problem is that after I start inserting plugins on more than few tracks, I get very high CPU spikes, to the point that PT won't playback and I get the AAE -9173 error message. After a few seconds, things settle down and I can playback audio again.

Sometimes I'll get a CPU spike and I don't get that error message, but audio keeps playing and there is significant crackling/pops until the CPU spike settles. Not ideal.

Here's a video of a CPU from inserting a plugin:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...CPU_Spikes.mov

Has anybody else had this kind of problem and was able to solve it? I don't remember this happening until late PT 11 or maybe with PT 12.

Computer Specs:

iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7
32GB RAM
Solid State Hard disk for OS (external SSDs for audio)
OSX 10.10.5 (happend on earlier OS versions too)

In one TB port, I have an OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock which feeds the Sonnet Echo Express III D containing my Lynx AES16e card, UAD Octo Card, and a FW/USB card that normally has nothing connected to it.

From there, I'm coming out of the Sonnet Echo Express to feed a Phillips TV as an extra display using a TB to HDMI cable. The OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock also feeds a 55" Samsung TV via the HDMI output which is used as my main display.

The other TB port is feeding a Blackmagic Multidock with the external SSDs.

The computer itself also has a few dongles for iLok, Steinberg key, and Weiss Saracon dongle.

Other peripherals include an Apple wired USB keyboard, Apple USB Superdrive, bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse.

I think that's it. Despite all this, I never hear the iMac fan kick on so I feel like the iMac can handle it, but when I'm working in Pro Tools and start inserting plugins on more than a couple tracks, I get a huge CPU spike for a few seconds and Pro Tools won't playback audio until the spike settles down. I get error message AAE -9173
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Default Re: CPU spikes after plugin insert

PS, I tried trashing the prefs using the handy PT Prefs app and it did not help or make a difference. It happens when using both the Lynx AES16e sound card or the Mac Built-In Output.

Last edited by Jperkins; 11-24-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 PM

It happens here too, even with the buffer set to max. Oddly, the top CPU usage bar spikes, but NONE of the 24 below do. Even with no automation, and playing only a few tracks, the top CPU bar is around 17%, then quickly goes to 100 and playback stops. I don't remember this behavior in previous versions.

Ellis

HD Native, MacPro 5,1 12 core, 16G RAM, Mavericks
Old 11-25-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmansound View Post
It happens here too, even with the buffer set to max. Oddly, the top CPU usage bar spikes, but NONE of the 24 below do. Even with no automation, and playing only a few tracks, the top CPU bar is around 17%, then quickly goes to 100 and playback stops. I don't remember this behavior in previous versions.

Ellis

HD Native, MacPro 5,1 12 core, 16G RAM, Mavericks
Yes, I should note that my sessions are very simple. No automation or edits. I'm just playing audio to and from my analog mastering chain and capturing on a new track.

Back in my mixing days I never remember having this issue and those were very large sessions with lots of plugins, automation, edits etc.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:54 AM

I have this problem in Pro Tools 11. I disabled the automatic backup and the problem was solved for me.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Egan View Post
I have this problem in Pro Tools 11. I disabled the automatic backup and the problem was solved for me.
Thanks, I will try this next time I'm working in PT.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:09 AM

Same here, but in my case, I made all my plugs inactive then through process of elimination, I found a Kontakt instance that caused the spike that crashes PT, and all's well again.
BTW, I added that instance to VE Pro Server without a hitch.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I disabled the automatic backup and the problem was solved for me.
You are brave!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
This didn't work in my case. I'll try to narrow it down to a certain plugin.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:28 AM

I can't seem to trace this to a certain plugin. I also tried disabling delay compensation and other things.

It would be nice if an Avid rep or moderator could weigh in.

I read some things about disabling hyper-threading but I don't know much about it or if that would solve this.