Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2001, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Firewire and Pro Tools (A mess)

I'm pretty sure that import audio crashing was due to a corrupt file from a suspect version of dcode (part of mtools).
I tossed the file and haven't had the problem since.
I never used any third party firewire inits before i started using firewire directly for video playback. The rig worked fine with jusst the mac 9.04 stuff. Now i use the adaptec hotconnect pile of inits in addition (minus the apple firewire dv enabler)
my drives are formatted with Disk Control 1.01 by indigita software. This seems like a good system. Firewire has been (knock wood) very stable as my primary audio drive stack for about seven months. good luck!

www.tompaul.com
Old 03-22-2001, 06:35 PM

I own a Western Digital 45Gig external firewire drive and so far it's been great. I haven't run it thru a big test yet, but I have had success throwing 24 tracks into record for 20 minutes non-stop (I stopped it out of boredom), no lag time noticable. I'll try a bigger test on a tracking session in a few weeks.

I'm running 5.1, G4/400/256ram, 24MixPlus, OS 9.0.4, yadda yadda yadda

Howard Karp

PS: Western Digital has stopped making the 45Gig external drives, they plan to have 60Gig versions instead on the shelves in a month or so.

I've got a cool mouse, too!
Old 03-23-2001, 05:05 AM

Does anyone know why they (meaning "The Man") haven't come out with a 10,000 rpm firewire drive? Is this just some conspiracy to keep us oppressed, man?

Also thanks hkpwnetd for that specific track count report. Tomcat and others, how many tracks (with edits) are you getting from your drives? What are your mechanisms, DAE buffer settings and formatting utilities?
Old 03-24-2001, 01:46 PM

zep dude
10,000 rpm drives might be premature at this time because of the stinking controller card they put in the FW drives. They've very slow. Right now I'm running Digital Pix, in poor quality mode (Data 750) on one FW drive and 28 tracks off another drive. No fragmentation. Not a very choppy session. As soon as I went over 28tracks I got the disk to slow error.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:02 AM

Anyway, I don't think it's Digidesign's fault that Firewire doesn't work very quickly yet. They are obviously slower than the other drives in my system, whether I'm inside PT or just in the apple Finder copying data. Firewire needs to mature a bit before it'll be good for data-intensive stuff like digital audio.
Old 03-25-2001, 05:04 PM

did you reformat the maxtor with the maxtor
utilities? I reformatted mine and partitioned
it into 8 smaller segments.I was able to easily transfer sessions from the ultra scuzzi drives and have been able to open a 24 track session from it.

------------------
Old 03-25-2001, 09:06 PM

For those with continuing problems w firewre with G4 goto http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10224. This is a firmware update the fixed one of my biggest firewire problems. This has enabled me to drop all third party extensions and formatters and go exclusively with Apple Extensions. It's, SO FAR, looks great. Highly recommended.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:11 PM

Y'all are working with first generation stuff, check these articles out.

http://www.barefeats.com/fire14.htm

http://www.firewireworld.com/news/20...3/oxford.shtml

Don't forget about FireWire RAID or Yamaha's mLan.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2001, 09:22 AM

That looks pretty nice. There is hope as long as we can hold on!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:37 AM

Isn't the reason why FireWire drives don't work properly, because there aren't any "Real" firewire drives out there yet ?

Aren't they basically regular drives with a IDE to FireWire conversion ?

Seems to me that this is part of the problem.