Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Default Xpand 2 midi mapping/channels Question

I am able to map the knobs on my midi controller, but only when using midi channel 1 in Xpand. If I change to channel 2, 3, or 4.....my controller will not trigger the parameters even when mapped to the correct CC number.

Is there a setting I am missing which needs to be changed for channels 2, 3, and 4 in order to control parameters on these channels with my controller?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Xpand 2 midi mapping/channels Question

You need to make sure everything is talking on the same MIDI channel.

QAPLA!
Old 02-25-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey803 View Post
I am able to map the knobs on my midi controller, but only when using midi channel 1 in Xpand. If I change to channel 2, 3, or 4.....my controller will not trigger the parameters even when mapped to the correct CC number.

Is there a setting I am missing which needs to be changed for channels 2, 3, and 4 in order to control parameters on these channels with my controller?
I've found the same issue with Xpand!2 ... it will control the parameters on channel 1 (if it's on the top) but not 2.3.4. I just finally created instrument channels for each and am using a separate Xpand on each channel. Then after I get the sound I like, I set up an audio channel next to each one and use the grab/bounce to that channel and hide/make inactive the original instrument channel (I usually keep it in case I want to go back and change something). I just like mixing audio channels better
Old 02-28-2022, 02:59 PM

Your MIDI controller essentially passes the MIDI info through to Xpand. On the PT instrument track, you can only select one MIDI channel at a time. HOWEVER, do this. Create 4 MIDI tracks. Point MIDI 1 to XPand MIDI 1, MIDI 2 to Xpand MIDI 2, etc. Now select which part you want to set up a CC control on. And then record arm the 4 MIDI tracks. You should be able to set the CC controls to each part you select in Xpand. You can one one CC control the same parameter in Xpand (pan, let's say). Or you can assign separate controls off your controller to whatever you wish on each Xpand part. Or you can have 1 controller control more than one parameter. This should work. Good luck.