Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 AM

Default Delay Compensation working in reverse???

PT 10.3.8 w/ OS 10.9.5.

I quantize MIDI to the grid. I hit play and compare the timing of that MIDI to the click. Now typically, when you have Automatic Delay Compensation checked, it will be solid (there are exceptions i.e. when ADC goes haywire and refuses to work), but this past week it would work in reverse.

If I have ADC checked MIDI notes will sound late. If I uncheck ADC it will be rock solid perfect. What the...??? That's backwards, no?

Anyone else experienced this behavior?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation working in reverse???

Is your MIDI on a MIDI track or an instrument track? What is producing the sound - software instrument or hardware?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:20 PM

My workflow is as it's always been since VIs were introduced into ProTools: a VI on a stereo audio track triggered by MIDI on a MIDI track.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what could have changed in our configuration and coming up with nothing. The only potential explanation I've thought of is related to Vienna as it's the VI where I've noticed it most and it's happening on two different but similar configurations.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 AM

Anyone?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:53 AM

Sorry, not been on here in a few days. Go into Setup>Preferences>MIDI and look under 'delay compensation for external devices'. Do you have 'MIDI notes and controllers' checked 'on'? If so turn it OFF as this can definitely cause improper ADC functionality in the setup you describe.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 PM

I'm relatively certain that those boxes are unchecked but I'll take another look.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Judging by the almost complete lack of assistance it seems that this isn't a comfortable topic for most on this forum. I can understand why - it's ethereal and elusive.

The best I've been able to surmise is that PT 10 Native sessions do not like being transferred to PT10 TDM, though PT11 Native sessions aren't finicky about being opened in PT10 TDM. We even tried PT 10.3.10 (native) today to see if a session created in that platform might be more friendly to PT 10.3.10 TDM and the answer remains "no." Delay compensation simply refuses to function in any capacity if we create a session with PT10.x and move it over to PT10.x TDM. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would revive the timing.

There's only one fix: create a new session in PT10 TDM and import the PT10 Native elements into it. It will then compensate for latency in an expected way. This suggests that something about the session file itself contains ADC information which is proprietary to the type of system (native or TDM or otherwise) under which the session was originally created.

I continue to find it amazing how no one will touch this conversation of ADC. It's the ostrich-with-head-buried-in-sand phenomenon. It's frustrating for those of us who *must* still deal with it.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:56 AM

I'm helping aren't I? Or at least trying to. Is that confirmation that you looked at those boxes I indicated and they are indeed off? What happens if you create an instrument track routed to the same destination and move the MIDI to that. Does the behaviour persist? Are your instrument outputs coming directly from the instrument track or are you bussing them? Are you only experiencing this with Vienna or other instruments as well?

If think you can repro this problem then tell me exactly how and I can confirm or deny. I have access to both native and TDM systems.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Yes, I meant other than you.

Those boxes are unchecked in Prefs. Vienna and other instruments are affected. Any VIs in that session. I tried all other potential remedies as well. The only thing which would repair the issue was creating a blank session from that computer and importing all data from the problematic session. After that MIDI would play correctly.

As mentioned, it appears to be due to the fact that that session was originally created on another computer using PT10 Native, then it was opened on a PT10 TDM machine. This session is one of the only ones which was ever transferred between studios in this way - typically I'd create the session in PT11 Native and transfer to PT10 TDM for the mix. In those cases, MIDI would respond consistently between the two.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:05 AM

Ok. My colleague is using our native system this weekend, when it gets back on Monday I will try and see if I can repro this.

Just so I know - was it a generic Native system this came from or HD|Native?