Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Eleven Rack and Pro Tools Eleven

I posted a while back and at the time had a windows pc that would not run Pro tools. At that time I could play guitar and record a track on my system using protools but all audio played back with pro tools was terribly distorted. At the time it was a co-install 10 and 11. I have now purchased a Mac Mini. I have downloaded the latest driver and installed pro tools Version that came with my eleven rack. Pro tools functions fine. I have connected a M-audio Key Station and recorded some tracks with virtual instruments. Eleven rack is not being recognized as my interface. I have it set to DAW. I know it is communicating because I download the Eleven Rack editor and it works perfectly with the Eleven Rack. I guess my question is do I have to do a co-install wit pro tools 10 and 11 to use my Eleven Rack as my Interface. Any help would be very much appreciated. Oh and I do have the expansion pack for ER.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Eleven Rack and Pro Tools Eleven

Quote:
I have downloaded the latest driver and installed pro tools Version that came with my eleven rack.
We don't know what version of Pro Tools came with your Eleven Rack, so it is hard to answer this. We also don't know what version of Mac OS X is on your Mac Mini.
Quote:
I guess my question is do I have to do a co-install wit pro tools 10 and 11 to use my Eleven Rack as my Interface. Any help would be very much appreciated.
No, unless you have RTAS plug-ins that are not available as AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools 11, you do not need to install Pro Tools 10.

If you provide more complete system details, it will help other users help you.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:25 PM

Mac Mini
Late 2012
Processor 2.5GHZ Intel I5
4GB 1600MHZ DDR3
500GB SATA DISK
OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion

Pro tools Version 11.1.3
Eleven Rack Driver 1.1.1
Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 PM

OH Yeah and completely new to recording of any kind and very little computer knowledge. Please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 PM

I also understand that I need to purchase a 7200 rpm external hard drive for music file storage and upgrade the memory in the mac. At this point I just want to get the program and hardware operational before I invest more money in memory and drives. I don't own any plugins yet.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdesherlia View Post
Mac Mini
Late 2012
Processor 2.5GHZ Intel I5
4GB 1600MHZ DDR3
500GB SATA DISK
OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion

Pro tools Version 11.1.3
Eleven Rack Driver 1.1.1
According to this chart http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...q=pro+tools+11
Your Mac Mini is not officially qualified to run Pro Tools 11.

That usually does not mean it won't work though.

How do you have the Eleven Rack connected to the computer? Direct to USB or a hub?

Do you get any kind of errors when launching Pro Tools?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Eleven Rack and Pro Tools Eleven

The UI code seeing the Eleven Rack as a USB midi device to control its settings and it being the interface are two separate things. So what is the Pro Tools playback engine set to? Hold flown the 'N' key when starting Pro Tools and select the Eleven Rack. If that is not an option in the menu, you have other problems... The most likely one is that you have not properly optimized optimized your Mac--not disabled sleep as you are supposed to. Or you have manually slept/suspended the system. The system cannot sleep/suspend when the Eleven Rack is connected and powered on. The driver will not recognize the interface when the Mac resumes from sleep/suspend--that unfortunately is Avid driver software working as expected/as badly as designed.

And your Mac mini has a 5,400 rpm internal drive, a combination that can be fairly toxic for Pro Tools and cause all sorts of problems/glitches/artifacts/crashes, you need to work on getting an dedicated audio/session drive. I really recommend SSD drives for performance and reliability reasons, Samsung 840 Evo or Pro SSD drives are great, or if external LaCie make some nice SSD drives, or you are handy or have somebody who can help you you can put a Samsung drive in a third party Thunderbolt enclosure.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks Benoni and Darryl, Protools did shut down a couple of times when switching back and forth between structure and mini grand when using virtual insturments. I do have the Eleven Rack connected direct by USB. The biggest issue is protools not recognizing the Eleven Rack as the interface. When I open a session it says that some signal paths or settings have changed and saks if I want a detailed report. I will say yes to the report and see what it says. I have not optimized my mac. I will do this tonight and see if that works. Thank you so much for the information!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Well I'm a little further along. Yes I had put the system to sleep manually. I have now followed a tutorial and optimized my mac. Now the eleven rack is the play back engine but when I open a session the eleven rack tab is dark and says no input. When I loaded a template session "Guitar tracking" I left the options as suggested 256 sample and so on. Is there a setting that I am missing? The eleven rack is set to DAW but I have made no other changes. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdesherlia View Post
Well I'm a little further along. Yes I had put the system to sleep manually. I have now followed a tutorial and optimized my mac. Now the eleven rack is the play back engine but when I open a session the eleven rack tab is dark and says no input. When I loaded a template session "Guitar tracking" I left the options as suggested 256 sample and so on. Is there a setting that I am missing? The eleven rack is set to DAW but I have made no other changes. Thanks for any suggestions!
You need to default the IO

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio