Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 09:29 AM

Default IK Multimedia [officially] unveils SampleTank2

Hey everyone, just wanted to share this with those who may be interested.

After much much anticipation, teasers, rumours and speculation IK Multimedia have finally officially unveiled SampleTank 2.
SampleTank 2 has been completely redesigned to create "the most advanced sample based sound workstation ever made". "A unique, powerful plug-in with a wide range of exclusive, revolutionary features that set it apart from other samplers or sound modules, SampleTank 2 is a giant step for sampling technology".

SampleTank 2 features:

3 synth engines: exclusive STRETCH (SampleTank Time REsynthesys TeCHnology) and pitch-shift/time-stretch synthesis, in addition to traditional resampling synthesis.
Lighting fast access to the richest, widest, most realistic sound range ever produced by software or hardware instruments.
Thousands of native sounds already available, plus the ability to import unlimited WAV, AIFF, SDII, AKAI, and SAMPLECELL files.
32 built-in award-winning effects.
16 multitimbral layerable parts.
Full synth-sampler engine control.
Plus single-sample editing, loop sync, portamento, keywords search, and loads more...
Read the full details here.
SampleTank 2 supports VST, Audio Unit, DXi, Pro Tools and MAS in Mac OS 9, Mac OS X and Windows XP and will be available in 2 models:

SampleTank 2 XL - 8CDs of sounds with 1500 sounds and more than 4.5 GB of samples, 8 CDs, $/€499
SampleTank 2 L - 4CDs of sounds with 500 sounds and more than 2GB of samples, 4 CDs, $/€299
There will be 2 upgrades, all to XL (must be a registered ST1 user to be eligible):

SampleTank 2 DJ, L, XL 1 to XL2 , 8CDs, $/€249
SampleTank 2 SE (002 bundle), LE 1 to XL2 , 8CDs, $/€349
Users who have registered SampleTank 1 DJ, L or XL since 1st May 2003 will be able to download a FREE special upgrade to SampleTank 2.

The product is expected to ship by the end of August.

Detailed information and sound examples can be found here. http://www.sampletank.com/Sampletank2.html
Old 07-15-2003, 10:44 AM

Default Re: IK Multimedia [officially] unveils SampleTank2

anycrossgade specials from samplecell or exs24?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:50 PM

Quote:
- SampleTank® 1 DJ, L, XL to SampleTank® 2 XL, 8CDs of sounds $/€249
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is this 8CDs of all brand new sounds? or is it a lot of the same sounds that came with SampleTank XL 1.0? If I purchase the upgrade am I going to be getting all the same sounds I already have with a few new ones thrown in, or is it all brand new sounds?

I mean, you're charging $400 for the upgrade which is more than I paid for XL 1.0!!! I'd hope that all 8 of those CDs contain new sounds for $400. Even if 4 of the 8 CDs are new and the other 4 are the same as 1.0 I wouldn't be interested in buying it. I don't really use a lot of the stock sounds anyway, I mainly use all my AKAI sample CDs with it.

There is nothing on the website or in your post talking about what sounds (specifically) are on the New 8 CD package and if they are identical or not to the sounds on the 4 CDs I got with XL 1.0. I would imagine that you're giving us some of the same stock sounds (bass guitars, pianos, drumkits) that were already included in 1.0. Is there anyway to just get the new sounds instead of having to pay for all the sounds that came with 1.0? This brings up another point which may answer this question...are 1.0 soundbanks compatible with 2.0?

So there's really no upgrade to just get the software only without having to get all the sample CDs?

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 07-16-2003, 12:24 AM

Jason,

Since Mach-5 is still vaporware, sampletank could be the answer for all of us SSC users who also need to upgrade to PT 6.1

How perfect / seamless is the SSC translation?
Will all of the matrix info translate? (that would be amazing, as the matrix is quite complex)

Is there batch-conversion of banks, or only one instrument at a time?

Where can I get a list of the included sounds in both versions?

How is the midi implementation? I.E. Can the parameters be controlled from an external piece of midi hardware, such as the Kenton freak or Peavey 1600?

How will it work under rtas: Is it just one mono or stereo instance per plugin? If so, how do I save larger, complicated “banks”? I.E. can I
have a bank of "ballad" drums, bass, strings, etc, and load the whole thing into a session with one command?

No disk streaming? Any plans for Giga-import -even without streaming? I have about $25,000 invested in Giga libraries, and many of the
instruments aren't all that huge. I would KILL to be able to transfer all of my drums, perc and bass to an rtas plugin, for tighter timing.
-------------------------------------

Concerning timing:

1: There is of course SOME audio delay with rtas, and the midi-delay is actually worse than with HTDM. Do you know the current best-case total
delay?

2: will this be lowered once G5's become common?

3: IMPORTANT: Does the amount of delay stay the same no matter how much polyphony is used, or how many total instruments? Is the delay CONSTANT, meaning it can be adjusted for, or is there some amount of variable "smear" ?

--------------------------------

To run the max 256 notes polyphony, how much dedicated ram will I need? (or does that depend upon the size of the instruments themselves? Either way, what is the max ram needed for no-compromize performance?

If there is no disk-streaming, then what IS the maximum size of any instrument? If one instrument is at the maximum size, then does that mean no other instruments can be playing at the same time?
Old 07-16-2003, 05:13 PM

If Speer's questions get answered, I'm in, I'm putting in a budget request ASAP.

M
Old 07-18-2003, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IK_Jason:
"the most advanced sample based sound workstation ever made"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, it's not a sampler, but a sample player?
Quote:
Originally posted by IK_Jason:
the ability to import unlimited WAV, AIFF, SDII, AKAI, and SAMPLECELL files.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just files, or AKAI programs (with filter/amp/envelope settings), also?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:41 PM

?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:06 PM

Well, Jason sent me an email response, as I also sent my questions above to HIM via email. Unfortunately, there wasn't much info included. the one thing I learned is that instrument size is only limited by the amount of ram available (but how much ram for full polyphony remains a mystery.)

Perhaps Jason can relay my questions to one of the designers of the software, and then post some info here.

Until then, it's probably best to make other plans, at least until this software is out and well-established.

Anyone know what's up with Mach-5 ???
Old 07-20-2003, 06:24 PM

Mach 5 supposedly ships on the 25th with a disk streaming update shipping a month later.

We'll see.

Crow
Old 07-21-2003, 06:12 AM

Is it possible to create your own patches in Sampletank 2? It would be VERY interesting to get it if it was possible (I liked the online sound demos) but if not, no use for me...

-Z