Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Re: HEAT, NEVE 8048 Listening Challenge

It's cheaper but it is also a bit more subtle. You can't really crunch if out like HEAT.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
It's cheaper but it is also a bit more subtle. You can't really crunch if out like HEAT.
Well, I didn't find VCC subtle at all. Didn't try HEAT yet so no comparison. But I do have the impression that those are 2 different things.

I tried VCC on 6 or 7 mixes, different styles, that were ready. I placed VCC channel plugin on all channels (SSL mode) and didn't tweek it. And placed VCC buss plugin on the drum buss and on the 2-buss as well.

ALL mixes had an instantaneous improvment on image and depth. It's like WOW! The high frequency seems a little pushed so that may influence on this. But, for me, the most impressive thing is what happens to the bass. It just sit tight, and glue the mix in a very nice way.

I mix at very conservative levels (K-20) but I also tried to reach the 2-buss harder to see what happens and it really does respond different, in a very nice way, when you pushed it.

Anyway, don't want to change the subject of this thread. Will try HEAT and see how it goes too.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Well, I didn't find VCC subtle at all.
I don't think so either, though it can be.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM

Have you compared it to HEAT? The word subtle, in this case, is meant as a relative term as a result of the comparison to the other product. I have both and you definitely can get a more aggressive thing out of HEAT if that is what you desire. VCC is great but will not get as extreme as HEAT in the distortion department.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Have you compared it to HEAT? The word subtle, in this case, is meant as a relative term as a result of the comparison to the other product. I have both and you definitely can get a more aggressive thing out of HEAT if that is what you desire. VCC is great but will not get as extreme as HEAT in the distortion department.
No I haven't. I'm need to upgrade to SL so I can run 8.1 and try HEAT. But I'm in the middle of 2 big projects now and you know the rule number 1: NEVER upgrade in the middle of a project. Looking foward to try it.

So, Werner, as you have both, do you think we could use both at the same time os is it overkill?

I do have the impression from what I heard about HEAT that they're different things. Am I wrong?

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM

You can certainly use both. I think that they are intended to be in the same emulation ballpark, they just sound a bit different from each other. You can deactivate HEAT on any individual track and substitute VCC or use it in addition. You can also put it on your master track and tweak it there as if it was the two buss of your console. I have done all of the above and it is simply source specific. Sometimes it works for a specific track, sometimes it is too much and sometimes it almost does nothing when you add it. It's just great to have the extra flexibility. I do prefer HEAT as an overall, applied globally, application though. It is really quite fat sounding.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I do prefer HEAT as an overall, applied globally, application though. It is really quite fat sounding.
Sounds like I need to try it!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:58 PM
velvettone

Thank you for taking the HEAT listening challenge exam.
You scored 100 % Correct __Most correctly identified : Neve summed Pro Tools mix (5 out of 5),Pro Tools only mix (5 out of 5),Pro Tools mix with HEAT (5 out of 5) __In Section 5 You Preferred the "Neve summed Pro Tools mix", 1205 People have taken the test to date and 68 % answered A/B said They were not sure - It was Pretty hard. __The Current Average Score is 30 % Correct

I agree that they could have used a better mix. I'm thinking that they mixed it originally in "heat mode" then phase aligned the Neve mix to that. I think I did well because I'm familiar with how a Neve console sounds, so I have a reference as to which sections were obviously the Neve. It was then a matter of choosing which was heat, which again was obvious, as they certainly went overboard with the processing, to a point where it sounded forced.

And this is the scary part (and why I originally chimed in on this thread)...

In section 5, I chose "Pro Tools only mix" as the best mix, yet it told me that I chose the "Neve summed Pro Tools mix".

Avid, I think your challenge is severely flawed!!!

Monitoring System: ATC SCM300A
Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 PM

got 50% and at the end i'd like more the neve summed... but it was pretty close...hard test... but analog can't be replaced with plug ins...yet//
Old 11-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yambike View Post
Yes.

I'm a fan of Dave Hill and his analog emulation algorithms and Pro Tools but this test makes a weak case. I have to disregard the numbers related to specific identification of sounds. The numbers related to which mix was preferred and those where people say they can't hear a difference are useful though, but a lot of people are saying they're listening on laptop speakers ...
I'll admit it, I'm listening on Adam P11s with a Sub12 and a Tact RCS 2.0 and I could barely tell any difference of any of the clips except maybe for the second section. I don't hear any extra air or warmth. Of course, post is my bread and butter and I make music on the side. It really makes me wonder if we're even focusing on the same thing as audio engineers. I kept wanting to cut out the lip smacks I was hearing from the vocals.

It's unimaginable for me that anyone listening to this through laptop speakers to hear ANY differences at all.

IMDb (very partial)