Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Poor mans HD rig with PT 7 (revisited)

Greetings all,

Awhile back I made a post here with the idea of upgrading to an HD1 system with the 96I/O. But it would basically have to be mostly RTAS based. And of course I could still bring along the Control/24, UAD-1, PoCo cards and Adat AI3 etc. So those investments can still be used as I climb up the HD ladder.

The main barrier was the inability to use RTAS effects on aux channels etc. There were a few workarounds but many stated that it probably wouldnt be worth it and that I should get no less than an HD 2 which is way out of my price range. HD1 with 96I/O is more realistic for me price wise and I got a good offer from my Digi dealer.

Now with the recent announcement of PT 7, I would like to bring this topic back and get more opinions.

With the new CPU optimizations and RTAS support anywhere and everywhere, this now seems like a good idea again. Keep in mind that my climb to HD has to be gradual. HD2 and beyond I absolutely cant do. HD1 with 96I/O is workable. Adding to the HD1 rig down the road is workable and more realistic. But, at the same time, I can still keep and use my other investments such as the Control/24, UAD-1, PoCo cards and ADAT AI3 etc.

Could this finally be the 'middle' system some of us are looking for? Well, if HD1 with PT7 and the 96I/O could be had around $4000-5000.00, then I think alot of units would be sold. Just some thoughts.

Maybe Digidesign could even offer some type of 'bundle' deal with HD1 and 96I/O. This may also push more sales for the 96I/O box. I have yet to be in one major studio using HD that has the 96I/O for the front end. It's always been the 192 I/O. So how about it Digidesign? That would be a good way to test the waters and promote it as the "middle system between 002 and HD" that many have asked for. And you can do this with the products you already have. No R&D costs at all.

It's not fully TDM(but very upgradeable) but still mostly RTAS based like the 002. The HD core card will handle the I/O, PDC, latency issues and mix engines, and the new supercomputers CPUs will handle the plugins.

Would any LE users climb aboard this if there was an HD1 and 96I/O bundle at a resonable price? Maybe even include a trade in with the 002 for the upgrade to bring the price down even more? I would be all over this.

Any new thoughts or suggestions on this in regards to PT 7? I think this idea could now work with PT 7.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-22-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Porr mans HD rig with PT 7 (revisited)

It's a good interim solution.. but you'd still be advised to buy the MassivePack bundle with the additional Accel card and the plug-ins. Do you have a multiprocessor PC?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-22-2005, 03:48 PM

I have one on order Rail.

Time to move on from the Control24/002r combo. It is just taking to long to mix stuff with all the workarounds I have to do like using Ableton LIVE for more tracks and submixing etc.

I think my 'poor mans' HD1 rig above will put me alot further ahead to what I am using now. Just fishing for other opinions on this subject. Of course when PT 7 is released I will go to my dealer and see if this would be a realistic thing to do.

And then again, addiing an additional CPU to a quad dualcore motherboard is alot cheaper than an Accel card. Just some thoughts. This might just be way out there.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-22-2005, 04:12 PM

There are some high end Accel only plug-ins you'll want to use though -- I guarantee it.

Rail
Old 10-22-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
There are some high end Accel only plug-ins you'll want to use though -- I guarantee it.

Rail
Very true! I could use some of them now on some current mixes. I have to get the Core card and I/O box out of the way first though. And the Massive pack 4 bundle is quite the offer.

I'm going to take some of my bigger mixes to my Digi dealer when PT 7 comes out and see if this idea is worth looking at. It may also help a few other PT LE guys who need something in the middle. I'll report back when PT 7 gets released. Maybe I'll be one of the first to take this route.

Shane

Old 10-22-2005, 06:50 PM

I was thinking of doing this way back when... but now taht dual core is supported it makes even mroe sense... to have an HD1 system and a dual core should give proformance of past an HD2(but with RTAS pluin count) i would think.. I also have another question.. can you use the older TDM stuff like the 888 with the new PT7 HD? Because if so that might be an even cheaper way to go.

Jonny
Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of doing this way back when... but now taht dual core is supported it makes even mroe sense... to have an HD1 system and a dual core...
Quad dual cores bro.

Quote:
can you use the older TDM stuff liek the 888 with the new PT7 HD? Becasue if so that might be an even cheaper way to go.

Jonny
Not sure about that, but you might be able to find a second hand Digi 96I/O somewhere or even a referbished one.

Shane

Old 10-22-2005, 07:43 PM

I'm more thinkign abotu the cost of the core cards. lol.. im sure i cna get it at a great price comparied to normal sale price.. but its still going to be alot... And also... your not going to get a quad dual core system. lol... The Opterons that allow you do get a quad board will cost around 2.5k each. lol.. so if your going to spend 10k on the chips for yoru system you might as well jsut go HD3 and put it in yoru current computer. Unless you are talking about the Opteron 280's which are around 1k each.... you can get a full system with those for around 3.5k... I'm not thinking of going THAT crazy if i did this though... An Athlon 4400+ is probably the highest i would go since it would double the preformance i get now(3700+... a 4400+ is 2 3700+ cores)... And i was just looking at the older TDM stuf.. it seems that you can only record at 48khz with them.. unless im mistaken... but i don't think i woudl use more then that anyways... Becasue i was looking on ebay and you can get a core card and like 5 mix farm cards for the price of 1 new HD core... I'm nto sure how the power of them comparing to each other works out.. but i woudl assume that the older system woudl be more powerfull with a total of 6 cards... But if it can't do PT7 it will defeat the whole purpose... Whatever...

Jonny
Old 10-22-2005, 07:50 PM

You can use an 888/24 on the legacy port.. but not a 16 bit 888. You need at least one new I/O though.

Rail
Old 10-22-2005, 07:58 PM

This is the route I've gone. Just built a quad core Opteron machine with an HD Core. The Opterons give me plugin power for days. And I think short of Digi requiring all plugs to need Accel cards to run, this is the wave of the future, and it need not be considered a "poor man" solution, but rather simply a sensible one.