Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Control 24 Dark scribble displays

I have a problem with some scribble LED´s becoming really dark on my Control 24, some are fine but some are so dark I have to be very close to be able to read them...
I don´t find any LED Contrast settting either...
It started with 2 channels, now maybe 12...
I think this is a common problem but I still haven´t found a solution or a theory what is causing this ?

Today, all Scribble LED´s are very dark, including the "Channel Bar Display" som there seem to be a connection problem.

Does anyone know where to find the right socket to tighten?
I removed the backplate where the power switch is but everything seems fine there.
Is it easy to move the larger backplate where all the audio inputs are ?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Control 24 Dark scribble displays

I have the same problem and I wrote to the Italian service center but I have not replied ...

You are able to solve the problem, if you can it do?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 PM

I have contacted two service centers but only one replied and recommended the other ...
So no Solution for me.
Everything else is working fine so I guess I will just live with it...

I removed the backplate and it is very tight inside but all sockets seem fine. Have no clue what is causing this "darkness"...
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 AM

I had this problem a couple of years ago. It was a component within the power supply had gone. It would work every now again if I hit the console.

I got a replacement from Digidesign as they acknowledged it was a known problem and sent out a replacement part for me to fix. They do take credit card details incase they don't receive the faulty unit back.

I did take me a good hour or so to fix. If you are a competent person with a little bit of knowledge of electrics then you be okay to replace it yourself.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Does anyone know where to find the right socket to tighten?
I removed the backplate where the power switch is but everything seems fine there.
Is it easy to move the larger backplate where all the audio inputs are ?
Almost certainly flaky molex connectors from the supply board to the display boards. I got rid of my Control 24 years ago, but towards the end I used to have to disassemble it every 6 months or so and clean all the molex connectors on the supply board with cramolin or the scribble strips would start disappearing. It's no fun getting inside there; LOTS of screws to take of the bottom and the thing is bulky and heavy as you may have noticed. If you don't know what you're doing you should probably leave it to a pro.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6