Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Well,

For mics, I was limited. I have the studio projects C1, which I used on vocals, and on violins, and clean guitars. On distorted guitars, I used an Audix D4. I just liked how it handled an absolutely cranked 4x12 in my bedroom closet. (The bedroom closet also doubled as the vocal booth.)

On drums: We had my buddy's CAD mic pack. I think the model numbers were 412s?, but they sounded decent. On overheads (and acoustics, although there are no acoustics in either of these songs), we used shure sm94s. The big issue with the drums, was the room. We did it in a live venue which had a lot of weird reflections going on. I only used it because at the time, I didn't have my yamaha 01v, and I needed the preamps. I did live sound there at the time, so I got the place for free.

For monitoring, I have Tannoy Active Reveals.

I, however, did not master this material. A friend of mine did it, using his avalon 747, (or is it his 737? .. not the pre, but the compressor... ) along with some waves renassance(i can't spell either.) eqs. Anyways, his monitors (cant remember what they were).. were a little bass heavy. It did sound a lot heavier on the bottom end at his place. I think what happened was, he filtered out a lot of sub-harmonic stuff which took a lot of meat out of the bottom end. I probably should have done that in the mixing process. Consider myself learned.

Unfortunately we hit a brick wall with the deadline, and the guys were happy; I thought it lacked a little in the bottom, but my hands were tied.

whoo. that was a lot of venting there.. It's the first chance I ever got to vent about all of that

But I digress. It ain't bad for a 20 year old (well, i was 19 when it all started)

Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 AM

Thanks man,
I am trying to find some where to upload more stuff my ISP only allows 10 MB so I am not looking to pay $20 a mounth for more space until the band starts to support its self.

Quote:
Kronee,

I totally dug Fade Away!!! Sounds like Pearl Jam, and in a VERY good way! I'd love to hear more! sounds great!

-ev

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 03-11-2004, 10:06 PM

KroNEe,
I just listened to 'Fade Away'...very good song, cool chords, and overall arrangement. I really like the singer's voice (you?)
~Roy
Old 03-11-2004, 11:33 PM

XeetStreet, yo! Dig the urbo-jazz vibe on these. Just curious: what's the makeup of your band? and who recorded these, was this a studio or home project? Looking forward to future posts. Oh, and where are you based?

-----------------
tonyreymusic.com
Old 03-12-2004, 01:57 AM

Tony Rey Really good stuff.I listened Stir It UP and Outside.You have an excellent voice and played all of your parts great.I really liked your bass playing.
Stu
Old 03-12-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

well i'm way late in this game it would appear but what tha hay!

electro dance music - 001, PT, Virus, Triton, Reason

Wunderkind-intodeep
Wunderkind-notjustadance
Wunderkind-rockthis
Old 03-12-2004, 09:13 AM

Roy,
Thanx for the comments, I play bass and do all the recording and wright alot of the music/arangments. This is definatly one of our flagship songs. Thanks again.

Quote:
KroNEe,
I just listened to 'Fade Away'...very good song, cool chords, and overall arrangement. I really like the singer's voice (you?)
~Roy

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 03-12-2004, 12:26 PM

MISTER CURTIZ!!!!

How dare you become critical of my immacualte living room mix!!!! lol

juuuust kiddin

All of you guys critiques are well taken, and vastly appreciated. I dont knwo about the rest of you, but asides from the college radio and some my cd collection, I dont really have a lot to go on for reference (and half the time even the "pro" mixes leave a lot to be desired). Since I dont have any close engineer pals around, its hard to even get a frame of reference sometimes when you are all along, so I appreciate it a lot.

I really REALLY think that one of my biggest problems is fairly obvious. My best mic right now is an Octava mk319 (ok ok ok!!) stop laughing. I just ordered a Rode NTK last night, and the adat card for my octopre (still havent recorded through it yet). I think that will improve things a little, but not as much as actually getting myself into some better rooms.
Right now I am recording in a living room, and my desk is in the same room as the instruments. The drums are in a corner next to a large stone fireplace and I have NO soundproofing anywhere. I can literally hear my living room in all my mixes and there isnt a lot I can do about it without major renovation - all of which I am saving for the new house.

I should have recorded the guitars in dry and used amplitube, but I just didnt think about it..sigh.
We literally recorded this live, then went back in and did overdubs over the basic tracks. I am not a huge fan of editing when I can help it, but I probably need to jsut put myu nose to the grindstone and be more diligent about tempos and tightness - but for right now its the best i can give.

About the new-wave thing I graduated high school in 1984, so that should tell you something. i was a child of the 80s, so missing persons, the police, and all those bands are still in my brain. Shannon wrote this song right out of her head and I let her take the production reigns and I still think she did an awesome job for her first time out!! I am very very proud of my bride and she will probably wind up a better engineer than I will ever be because she has more patience!

Paul, I cant wait to get home and try out your guitar lick. I am really sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I am on internet ban at work, and just didnt even see it.
Thanks for your honest assessment!!! You guys are still like the musical family I never had and I appreciate it more than words can say!
Kev

Old 03-12-2004, 09:55 PM

Here's a new one...
~Roy

Like a Vampire
Old 03-13-2004, 12:36 AM

Hey everyone, newbie here. New not just to this board, not just to PT, but to recording in general. This is a pretty rough mix, and the first one I've ever attempted, so there's probably a lot of work yet to be done. Ordinarily I'd be hesitant to put it out there, but you folks seem like nice people.

As for the song itself...the drums and one of the three guitar parts (the one panned hard left) were done in a studio. I don't have the equipment or the right space to do drums at home. The other two guitar parts, bass, and all vocals were done at home into my 001 - the guitars through a Vox Tonelab, and the bass through a Peavey T-Max head used as a pre. As far as vocals go, I have rather cruddy equipment - an AKG C3000B mic and an Aphex 107 mic pre, and I didn't set up an isolation booth or anything, just recorded them in my finished basement.

I should also mention that I haven't quite gotten the hang of volume automation and whatnot yet, which explains, among other things, the abrupt beginning and end of the song.

Ok, enough exposition, here's the song (and yes, that's the actual title):

Worst Song Ever

Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated - only way to learn, right? And sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that there's normally a lead guitar part that plays a little riff before each verse, and a solo after the second chorus, but the guitarist hasn't gotten a chance to record those tracks yet.