Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2020, 06:57 AM

Default Premiere Pro AAF import Issue

The AAf comes from the Picture Editor who works in Premiere Pro 13.1.0

He exported a separate (referenced) AAF. The Audio Folder looks ok (12gB, in 38 min. program), the Audio Files get new (long number) names like Premiere normally does it.

The problem is that the (tiny) AAF File shows all 19 Audio-Tracks which only inculde 8 random Audio-Clips (which are not even re-linkable).

The Picture Editor re-imported the AAF to Premiere itself and it looks complete btw.

Any leads about what to try next?
Old 05-12-2020, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Premiere Pro AAF import Issue

Fastest and easiest is to export as OMF, copy all media to folder (with plenty handles). Don't embed audio to circumvent the 2GB limit.

AAF's from Premiere hardly ever work around here, and even if they do work I'll never be sure I received everything I needed to receive and sometimes I would spend more time getting an AAF to work then working on the actual project, so these days I go for the ancient omf export.

Unless you are using Protools 2020.3, because omf import is bugged
Old 05-12-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Fastest and easiest is to export as OMF, copy all media to folder (with plenty handles). Don't embed audio to circumvent the 2GB limit.

AAF's from Premiere hardly ever work around here, and even if they do work I'll never be sure I received everything I needed to receive and sometimes I would spend more time getting an AAF to work then working on the actual project, so these days I go for the ancient omf export.

Unless you are using Protools 2020.3, because omf import is bugged
Same. Keep it simple.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys. A benefit from working with OMF/Premiere is that the workflow doesn't change filenames, right?

To my surprise this time a workaround Premiere 13.1.0 AAF --> Davinci Resolve 16 AAF --> PT Ulti 2020.3 - seem to worked out fine for us.
(Filenames of Production Audio changed to name of the video files, but scene/take metadata being kept)

It seems like Davinci Resolve made an improvement on AAF exports, although the Picture Editor said, both the "Avid" & "Pro Tools" Delivery Tab did not work. The regular Edit -> export AAF worked fine with an embedded 12GB AAF
Old 05-13-2020, 01:21 AM

Here's the quicksheet of notes an editor made for me to pass on after (another) troubled Premiere production. His final para I think was critical.

--

In terms of exporting AAFs, I just did the following:

File > export AAF > check ‘’breakout to mono’’ ENABLE and then everything is as it should be.

If you want to play with the available handles you can click on the dropdown menu next to ‘’Render’’ and change it to ‘’Trim audio files’’ after which you can input your desired handles on the embedded media.

The thing to be careful with is how you treat your audio in your edit, DON’T MERGE CLIPS, we synced the audio and video by creating multicam clips, then at the end of the edit we had to ‘’flatten’’ all the audio (and video) in the sequences before exporting the relevant files - this is done by highlighting al the multicam clips in the sequence, right clicking and going to ''multi-camera'' and clicking on ‘’flatten’’. This changes the synced audio from a synced clips to its original audio source and therefore is the correct file to embed in the AAF.

---

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, these threads howl pain:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394167

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389425

I found working with standard EDLs via EdiLoad the most painless solution for a whole series that used PP.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM