Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Default pro tools 6.1 and intel i7

Can anyone tell me or is anyone still using pro tools 6.1 with the 001 in a new i5 or i7 computer with windows xp???...also are all rtas plugin backward compatible?...example using the plugins with pt 8....lastly is rewire a program within pt 8 and will work with older out dated programs like gigastudio 160?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Default Re: pro tools 6.1 and intel i7

I would think the main issue would be the O/S - if you stick with XP then you're probably ok whereas with Windows 7 some plugins may not be compatible.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1 View Post
Can anyone tell me or is anyone still using pro tools 6.1 with the 001 in a new i5 or i7 computer with windows xp???...
I really don't know the answer to this one, I think DUC user Sunburst79 might have some insight, but I can tell you that you would need 6.4.
Quote:
also are all rtas plugin backward compatible?...
No.

Quote:
lastly is rewire a program within pt 8 and will work with older out dated programs like gigastudio 160?
Rewire is a technology developed by Propellerheads (the makers of Reason) that allows programs to inter-connect. With the older versions of Pro Tools, you need to be using the newest rewire available from the Propellerheads website.

You are most likely going to run into a host of problems trying to use older hardware/software on a newer computer. I'm just curious; why not upgrade? There are a host of options available, and the newer versions of all software are going to be able to take advantage of the advances in the newer computer, where the older software will not. There are much better options these days than Gigastudio (IMHO), and many of them can utilize the Gigastudio libraries.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM

ty for starters the 001 interface is way better then the mbox series..as per rewire and gigastudio..well to cut cost why not?...I do have pt 6.1 running on a older puter with the 001 interface....i got a mac with the pt 8..mbox2 pro...there is a difference...the older pt u dont need to get a rtas wrapper for some of the vst's i have...giga studio is a windows program...yea i know i could update to a 003 for a mac for maybe the same cost or better...i like the fact that u dont need wrappers on the older pt system and i like the fact that what i have on the mac sounds better on the older pt...maybe it is the audio interface on the mac..mbox2..i dont know...yes the older pt is running on windows xp pro.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
ty for starters the 001 interface is way better then the mbox series.
That is a matter of opinion. It's one that I share (I used to have one and I loved it), but still. If I had a choice of both right now, I would not choose the 001, but that is just me. If it was still compatible with the new software? I might choose the 001, but since it is not, nope.
Quote:
as per rewire and gigastudio..well to cut cost why not?.
How much is your time worth? You may spend more time "geeking out" trying to get it to work than actually working with it. My personal opinion, I would rather spend a couple of bucks and get something that will just install and play than spend days/weeks/months trying to get some older piece of software to work, and living with the headaches that it is inevitably going to produce. (again, maybe that is just me, I dunno.)

Quote:
i got a mac with the pt 8..mbox2 pro...there is a difference...the older pt u dont need to get a rtas wrapper for some of the vst's i have.
Ummm... no version of PT has native VST support. Period. Anything that is in VST format would need to be wrapped in order to be used in PT.
Quote:
..giga studio is a windows program...
Yep. You can also run Windows on any newer mac. Plus, most of the newer samplers will have comparable and most times even better samples than the old Giga stuff.
Quote:
yea i know i could update to a 003 for a mac for maybe the same cost or better...
I wouldn't say you needed an 003, unless you need the multiple inputs/outputs.
Quote:
i like the fact that u dont need wrappers on the older pt system
I'm still extremely confused by this. Again, NO version of Pro Tools uses VST formatted plugins natively. None. They all need the wrapper to be able to do that.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM

ty spkguitar..i appreciate what u said....but pt 6.1 will run the real guitar series...vsti or vst..without a wrapper.dimension pro the same..as per sample tank 2.5 thats already compatible...as per gigastudio 160 it does work on a older computer with windows xp pro and can be rewired into pt 6.1......if i failed to mention my concern it would be with a newer computer and this configuration....i am in the belief that all would work since its only a upgrade of the componets in a newer computer...which i am looking at a quad type...same operating system no different then whats on its now....if i am wrong pls correct me....worse case if 6.1 and the 001 dont work on it...i can always install the windows version of my mbox2 pro and get a firewire port installed on the puter...yes i do a wrapper program for the above mention programs..but then i would be uncertain if gigastudio would work with it...as per spending a few bucks on a newer program...it really wouldnt be a few bucks now would it....more like a few hundred..and i have tried the giga files on the mac with their compatible programs...sound is subjective but..its not like what i heard on the old windows puter thru the 001 or sound card...any other suggestions i would appreciate hearing...and i hope i didnt come off being rude..just telling the facts from what i have here.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
i hope i didnt come off being rude..just telling the facts from what i have here.
And I hope that I don't come off as being rude, but that is exactly what I am doing.
Fact: no version of Pro Tools can use VST or VSTi without the wrapper. None.
If you are using a plugin directly in Pro Tools without wrapping first, it must have RTAS compatibility. That is a fact.
Quote:
ty spkguitar..i appreciate what u said....but pt 6.1 will run the real guitar series...vsti or vst..without a wrapper.
I'm not sure how, as it is not possible. Even on the official Real Guitar page, it says "RTAS support is available in ProTools 6/7/8 via FXpansion's VST to RTAS adapter 1/2."

With the real versions of Real Guitar, you would need the wrapper.
The only versions of Real Guitar that I have seen that have RTAS compatibility without the wrapper are cracked/torrent versions.

You certainly aren't using cracked/torrent versions, are you?

Quote:
dimension pro the same..
Dimension Pro is RTAS. It wouldn't need to be wrapped, even on newer systems.

Quote:
if i failed to mention my concern it would be with a newer computer and this configuration....i am in the belief that all would work since its only a upgrade of the componets in a newer computer...which i am looking at a quad type...same operating system no different then whats on its now....
Actually, it IS different. Pro Tools did not support multi-core processors until version 7. You will probably get it to work (as I mentioned earlier, DUC user sunburst79 got his working), but it's not going to really be much a benefit over your current system because of that fact, and you're going to have to tweak it a bit to get it working (setting it to use just the one core).

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Ty...but i'm a bit confused on the 6.1 and real guitar...its working and i got no wrapper on it...its the first version of it...maybe the later versions u need a wrapper..anyhow ty very much for the info...i'm still decidin which course of action to take
Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Ty...but i'm a bit confused on the 6.1 and real guitar...its working and i got no wrapper on it...
Where did you get it?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 AM

musiclabs...the manufacturer