Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 AM

Default D-command ES sticky faders

I have a 24 channel D-command that I bought used and I have bad case of sticky faders. Here's what's going on: random faders on random given days don't register touch. If I cajole them enough, tap, wiggle, caress them.. they start to work again. Popping the caps is usually the first course of action. but sometimes that doesn't work. At first I thought I had dead faders.. bought 4 new ones from the avid dealer and they promptly stopped working. way to waste 500 bucks.. anyways I thought it might be a grounding issue- tried plugging into different circuits (that have different grounds) and same thing. I guess next step would be to get ground tested (not sure how to do this?) aside from that has anyone gone through this before? it's happens both equally in main unit and fader pack. It's driving me crazy.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 AM

Default Re: D-command ES sticky faders

tried all this? http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en210819
Old 12-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Yes! thank-you. standing up seems to be the solution. Hopefully i'll still be able to sit in my Aeron...
Old 12-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Yep if your feet don't touch the ground then you are insulated. A grounded mat and feet deliberate touching it may be all you need. Check the desk is properly grounded as well.

I would not give up an Aeron for anything, esp. with the later posture fit back design...
Old 10-03-2016, 08:39 AM

I'm still struggling with sticky faders on my D-command.. standing up only occasionally works, I always have between 3-6 dead faders. I think it's safe to say I've eliminated grounding from the equation, installing new faders also doesn't help. Anyone out there have any other suggestions? I'm starting to think I have a lemon on my hands..
Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sndnerd View Post
I'm still struggling with sticky faders on my D-command.. standing up only occasionally works, I always have between 3-6 dead faders. I think it's safe to say I've eliminated grounding from the equation, installing new faders also doesn't help. Anyone out there have any other suggestions? I'm starting to think I have a lemon on my hands..
What type of flooring do you have where the D-Command is located? I had laminate wood flooring on concrete and it caused the same issues you are describing. I would have to stand up and be barefoot to get all of the faders working reliably.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2016, 07:05 AM

Thanks. It's wood on concrete, I've tried barefoot too..
I do think I've had a revelation though with these faders. it's simply the way they are designed, they require positive lateral pressure for the contacts to be always touching the strips. for whatever reason some of them have lapses where they loose contact. If you give them a good sideways wiggle you can get them to behave. I've also started pulling them out and placing copper tape in between the contacts to give them some extra material in between so they always stay in touch. Still experimenting with this. Huge relief though to FINALLY understand what's been causing this headache for 2+ years. I'm surprised the design of these faders hasn't been brought up before.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sndnerd View Post
Thanks. It's wood on concrete, I've tried barefoot too..
I do think I've had a revelation though with these faders. it's simply the way they are designed, they require positive lateral pressure for the contacts to be always touching the strips. for whatever reason some of them have lapses where they loose contact. If you give them a good sideways wiggle you can get them to behave. I've also started pulling them out and placing copper tape in between the contacts to give them some extra material in between so they always stay in touch. Still experimenting with this. Huge relief though to FINALLY understand what's been causing this headache for 2+ years. I'm surprised the design of these faders hasn't been brought up before.
Hello Sndnerd,

Have you found a solution? Did you put copper tape under the caps?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Interesting, I've heard about the upgrade to carbon fiber faders(?) but I didn't know what that was supposed to fix.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFH View Post
Hello Sndnerd,

Have you found a solution? Did you put copper tape under the caps?
Yes I've done a couple rounds of fixes now on both consoles (to be clear I have both the older and newer versions of the carbon faders found in the D-command ES). The copper tape appears to be holding up well on the 6 faders I had that were completely non-responsive, they work fine now. I still have occasional dropouts on other faders, I'm finding a firm 'tap' to the left fixes this. So I'm more or less 100% on all 48.. hoping it stays that way.