Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Default PT 8 & converting from Windows to Mac

Hi All,

I apologize if some questions seems redundant, but so many prior threads were asked and answered prior to the newest Apple and Digi updates, and I’m not most tech savy person when it comes to the newest and latest technology.

I joined the Protools world 3.5 years ago with an 002R and what was then a top of the line Dell desktop.

I have upgraded to PT 8, and I love all the new features, but my Dell is having a hard time keeping up, and from reading the threads in the Windows forum, I’m not alone.

I installed 4GB of RAM, but it seems to be a CPU issue, and Win XP can not recognize all 4 GB of Ram anyway.

I don’t want to go back to PT 7

I do want to purchase many more plug-ins and take my system to new levels.

I've been wanting to go mac for a while anyway. I have Vista on my other (non-pt) computer and I hate it, so I don't want to end up where I might have to convert my pt system to vista; and I don't trust future updates from MS anymore; especially after reading the horror stories of IE8 and protools.

So I am strongly considering buying a new Apple Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-core
Being new to the Mac world, and considering how many new features are available, I’m a little confused on a few things. I understand people have been successful running pt on the newest macs and they are now “approved” systems. However:

The Mac runs a 64 bit system, and Protools is 32 bit. I know PT will run, but can it take advantage of the benefits of 64-bit like more than (approx) 3 gigs of Ram?

I’m reading some threads about pt doesn’t take advantage of multiple cores, or sometimes you have to turn a CPU “off” (?) but these are also older threads, so I’m not sure if these concerns are still relevant. Is pt 8 going to take advantage of the benefits of an 8 core system to run smoothly?

I understand Mac’s can now read many window’s files, but does this mean I’ll really be able to plug in my Western Digital external firewire HD that I use now and at least read my PT files?
I’d assume I’d still have to convert them, or “save copy as” to a different drive for optimal performance. (?) (And no, they're not client files, just my own music).

Other than an extra hard drive, is there anything else I need to purchase to make a smooth transition from Dell to Mac using pt 8 and my 002R?

I do plan on getting a Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter to run 2 monitors on the Mac.

Oh yes, does anyone know if my Linksys USB wireless modem still work on the Mac? There is no phone line in my studio, and I need just enough online line access to register pt and plug ins.

Thank you.