Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Can Protools have Track cross talk?

I noticed something interesting the other day. After having recording my basic tracks, I decided to record some vocals. Upon chance later, I soled a track that I had recorded. this track had originally been a midi track that I recorded into an audio track. as I soloed this track I could hear the vocals faintly in the background. the vocal tracks were down after all the other tracks. with the exception of vocal tracks, all tracks were recorded in directly, no open mics. Here's some of the things I tried:

1. after soloing the track with the vocal bleed, I muted the vocal track to see if this was the cause. bleeding persists.

2. Muted all sends. Still soloed track bleeds of vocals.

3. The bleeding is heard only on the region not outside the regions of the soloed track. I then just played that wave file/region outside of protools. I could still hear the bleed on the track. This tells me that the region has the vocal imprinted on it.

4. I then thought could be a drive issue. Since this is an external drive. I tried to reproduce the problem on another session, but I wouldn't get the bleed. I then looked at other similar sessions done on this drive, but couldn't find a similar problem with other songs. It seem this phenomenon only occurs on two songs on the drive. I checked the dates of the songs. I assumed maybe it's a new problem. but there are sessions on the drive before and after the date of the problem session and these don't have this problem.

sorry for the long post. Has anyone encountered this before? any ideas?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Can Protools have Track cross talk?

I;'d bet the bleed is coming from another component of your tracking/monitoring signal chain.
It is not from within ProTools.

Maybe re-trace your steps in getting your MIDI instrument recorded and see what
could have bled from the Monitor outs of PT to the MIDI instrument.

@timothyday_musicandsound
Timothy Day
Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 PM

yeah I tried repeating the steps to reproduce the problem, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. What I don't get is how these vocal tracks bled into a pre existing track that was recorded before the vocal track. How was the vocal track imprinted into a pre-existing track?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 AM

I know this isn't going to help you much, but YES, I have seen this happen to me on a LE system before and everyone I was talking to thought I was losing my mind. You could hear the tracks and see them appearing in other track VU meters and if you recorded, they would cross talk. Very uncommon problem, if not unheard of when I was researching it.

My system was an unsupported core2duo laptop that I had at the time and I had switched versions of Pro Tools or did the -fix trick and I think it eventually cured itself. But that was a show stopper at the time.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=27391

Best,

sos
Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 PM

what is the "-fix trick"?