Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Snow Leopard to Lion

Is it still possible to upgrade from SL to Lion without going to Mountain Lion ?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Snow Leopard to Lion

I don't think you can buy it from apple anymore, and since it was sold only as a download, it's not likely you'd be able to find a legal copy.

The real question is, why would you want to? Lion has absolutely nothing special related to audio, and IMO is not worth upgrading to... I had to make a bunch of tweaks to it just so I could find my files, and still only ever booted it for testing purposes. I still haven't tried mountain lion yet, hopefully it's better.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Apparently you can... this is what I got from Apple Support Communities :
"Yes. Call 1-800-MY-APPLE, pay $19 for a download code to use in the App Store."
The reason I would do it is that I already have a perfectly working partition with SL and PT8, and I wanted to prepare a partition for PT10, which is not qualified for ML yet (afaik)...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM

PT 10.3 is officially qualified for Mountain Lion according to the download page:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...10-3-Downloads

It is also still qualified to run on Snow Leopard 10.6.7 just so you're aware... I would either go with Mountain Lion or stick with Snow Leopard.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM

So apparently I have to go with SL because my Macpro is a "Harpertown" model and though it supports ML it does not support ML + PT10... !
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Yeah, I would just stick with SL then. The newest mac pros are still based on the 2009 architecture, so I would just hold out on your harpertown with SL until an actual update(not just a refresh) happens to the mac pro line. Rumor has it there will be a new mac pro line in 2013, that would be the time to upgrade.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
So apparently I have to go with SL because my Macpro is a "Harpertown" model and though it supports ML it does not support ML + PT10... !
I didn't see that document till after going OSX 10.8.2 and PT 10.3 on an HD3 8x3.2GHz Harpertown. It's been fine so far - whether that means it's worth the risk for you...

Pete
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 AM

I think that the requirement for nehalem(2009) mac pros is actually only relevant for HDX cards. Apparently the firmware in the HDX card can't update correctly without the newer revision of pcie slots. My guess is that the TDM cards will still work with the older mac pros since they always have, but that AVID simply never tested a TDM/10.3/Early Mac Pro config since the TDM cards are EOL.