Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-07-2023, 04:49 AM

Default upgrade control surface or computer? your thoughts

currently running an hdx system on a mac 5,1 os 10.14.6. Control surface is a d command. pro tools ultimate 2023.3
I just do music, no video. I've got some money to spend and am debating upgrading computer or my control surface to the s1 setup.

I'm thinking computer but that requires buying an external chassis for my card and all new drives. Though i do think it's pushing its limits with 2023.

any thoughts?

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-07-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:51 AM

Default Re: upgrade control surface or computer? your thoughts

If you upgrade your computer to a new Mac, be forewarned that you will then need to update Pro Tools depending on your current version. If you update Pro Tools to the current version then you will not be able to use your D-Command unless you run Pro Tools under Rosetta.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:52 AM

My 2¢: upgrade the computer to a Mac Studio M2, unless you have the coin for the new Mac Pro (you'd save on a PCIe chassis, but still spend much more). Run it in Rosetta for now, continuing to use the D Command under Rosetta. While you're waiting for all of your needed plugins to go AAX Apple Silicon native (hello Altiverb?!), save up for the EuCon upgrade, or research into whether Neyrinck V-Control Pro would give you enough functionality from the D Command to continue using it (I'm guessing not and EuControl integration is fantastic!).
Old 06-07-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
If you upgrade your computer to a new Mac, be forewarned that you will then need to update Pro Tools depending on your current version. If you update Pro Tools to the current version then you will not be able to use your D-Command unless you run Pro Tools under Rosetta.
i'm on the latest 2023.3 ultimate
Old 06-07-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
My 2¢: upgrade the computer to a Mac Studio M2, unless you have the coin for the new Mac Pro (you'd save on a PCIe chassis, but still spend much more). Run it in Rosetta for now, continuing to use the D Command under Rosetta. While you're waiting for all of your needed plugins to go AAX Apple Silicon native (hello Altiverb?!), save up for the EuCon upgrade, or research into whether Neyrinck V-Control Pro would give you enough functionality from the D Command to continue using it (I'm guessing not and EuControl integration is fantastic!).
so you're saying my d command will no longer work with my new computer once i'm using silicon native, which i think most of my plugins are.
or i have to keep using it under rosetta.
Thank you
Old 06-07-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
so you're saying my d command will no longer work with my new computer once i'm using silicon native, which i think most of my plugins are.
or i have to keep using it under rosetta.
Thank you
Correct. At least not without any additional software from Neyrink.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422931
Old 06-07-2023, 12:57 PM

new computer is best long term purchase decision

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 06-08-2023, 08:43 AM

A slightly contrarian view: If I could only do one right now, and *if* the computer is running well, I think the move into the Eucon world with its deep integration into Pro Tools and programmable soft keys might make more of a difference to your workflow than a new computer. That said, at some point soon you're gonna *have* to upgrade your computer; ARA integration, new TC/E algos, etc all make a big difference but do require a jump up in processing power.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-10-2023, 06:19 PM

I just made the leap. Mac Pro 5.1 on PT 12.4 with a D-Command to a Mac Mini M2 Pro on PT 2023 with 2-S1s and a Dock.

Short version, it's been a smooth transition and I'm enjoying learning to use the new surfaces and Eucon in general. It's incredibly powerful and I'm very impressed with eucon. I'm generally very happy with the move.

But...it's a HUGE step downward in the quality of hardware. The D-Command faders are in a completely different class. SO much better than the S1, And the dock, while the fader is apparently the same as the S1, the chassis is not and it rattles around (as do the switches near the fader) like a $10 toy. It's also mechanically very noisy on slow fades. I called my dealer and they said that everyone complains about this. It's unfortunately normal. I've gotten used to banking away from any channels that are drawing slow fades.

Also, while the Dock's 8 knobs are very useful when combined with a tablet, it is nowhere close to the ease of using the EQ section on the D-Command. Losing that has been a tough pill to swallow, but over time I'm sure I'll get more comfortable EQing on the Dock. Not sure I'll ever get used to the fader on the Dock!

Last edited by zakco; 06-10-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:41 PM

For channelstrip buscomp controller, I think the SSL UC1 is as good as it gets. It's locked to the SSL Native plugins, but I think they're up there with the best. My Artist Mix controllers together with UC1 is brilliant. Never missed a Dock. I mean, I think a UC1 would complement your S1s better than the Dock.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 06-10-2023 at 08:10 PM.