Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2023, 04:05 AM

Default Re: will new Mac Pro M2 Ultra be compatible with current HDX cards ?

I know HDX is a different (more of a diva) beast but I've been running HDn with an 8x8x8 and SYNC HD and AJA Lhi in my new M2 MP without issues for the last 3 weeks. PCIe NVMe, AJA and HDn in the machine. I also have the Sonnet Fusion Flex SATA cage installed.

(I had to ditch my old BM Decklink SDI as the older non-4k ones are not supported on M1/2 and I had the AJA lying around for years)

Only thing I noticed:

All the drives that are not the system drive seem to mount a bit slower than on the 5,1 MacPro that I came from. Usually the machine comes up with just the system drive on the desktop and the NVMe and internal SATA drives and SATA SSDs slowly show up one by one after about 30seconds to 1 minute but I got used to it. Might be a Ventura thing.

Frank.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
We update the compato grids whenever we do new releases of software. So stay tuned.... also... pro tip... you can Subscribe to a KB article and receive email notifications any time it gets updated.

Headsup: the pro tip to subscribe to the KB article doesn’t work. No email notifications for the update to the compatibility grid.

Good news finally that M2 ultra Mac Pro is supported tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgerinos View Post
Warm greetings, I just got the HDX card working on my M2 Ultra, but it was quite difficult. My thread is here Mac Pro M2 Ultra & HDX card
King from Avid finished the job over the phone and these are most of the steps:

- DL 2023.3 driver - Launch HD Driver Installer
- Select Uninstall Command
- Follow the Prompts for Uninstallation
- Restart Computer

After Restart
- Launch HD Driver Installer
- Install the Driver
- Restart

** *1*** Go to System Preferences > Energy Saver*(on a desktop computer) or System Preferences > Battery (on a laptop) and make sure that Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off*is checked and that the Turn display off after*slider is set to Never
** *2*** Uncheck Put hard disk to sleep when possible (desktop computer) or Enable power nap*(laptop)
** *3*** Double-click the Install Avid HD Driver.pkg*and follow the onscreen prompts to install the HD Driver
** *4*** When the message System Extension Blocked*appears, click on Open Security Preferences
** *5*** Unlock the setting menu by clicking on the lock icon and typing your password, then click on Allow, and then Restart Now*to rebuild the system extension cache
** *6*** The HD Driver installer, which will still be running, will block the restart and trigger a dialog Installer interrupted restart*- dismiss this*dialog by clicking on Cancel
** *7*** Go back to the HD Driver installer window, wait for it to finish if it hasn't already, then click OK*on the alert requesting you to restart and after that click on the Restart button

** *1*** Restart your Mac in Recovery Mode (see*this article*for instructions)
** *2*** Select Options
** *3*** Select Utilities > Startup Security Utility
** *4*** Select your current Mac system and click Security Policy
** *5*** Select Reduced Security*and check Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers

If*your*HDX or HD Native device is not detected, try the following procedure to refresh the system extension cache:
** *1*** Open the Terminal*utility (from Applications/Utilities) and*type:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
** *2*** Press enter, and enter your password when prompted
** *3*** Restart the computer

If still not detected, check that the hardware itself is recognised in About This Mac > System Information.*The device will still show up even if the HD Driver is not loaded:
** *1*** Hold down the Alt/Option key, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen, and select System Information...
** *2*** If using HDX or HD Native PCIe, click on Hardware > PCI; if using HD Native Thunderbolt, click on Hardware > Thunderbolt
** *3*** Check that you see either pci11af,ef70 (HDX) or pci11af,ef80 (HD Native/HD Native Thunderbolt) listed
** *4*** If the appropriate device*is*NOT listed, check hardware connections (reseat all cards, cables) and see if any LEDs illuminate on the device. Note that HDX cards additionally require an auxiliary power connector.

Assuming the hardware itself is recognised, next check the status of the DigiDal.kext (HD Driver kernel extension) from the System Information*report:
** *1*** Hold down the Alt/Option key, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen, and select System Information...
** *2*** Click on Software > Extensions*and wait for the list to be compiled
** *3*** Scroll down to DigiDal.kext, and check the Loaded*column - if it shows No*the driver has not been loaded and you can try to manually load it*(see below). If it shows Yes*the hardware should be ready to use, and visible as a device in Audio MIDI Setup*(Applications/Utilities). If it is visible there,*but not recognised by*Pro Tools, check that you have valid iLok licenses for Pro Tools Ultimate and Pro Tools DigiLink I/O

Startup Security Utility

To manually load the HD Driver:
** *1*** Download the Avid_Mac_HDDriver_Loader utility
** *2*** Double-click to unzip it, and place the unzipped item in the Applications*folder
** *3*** Launch the utility and follow the onscreen prompts

If the HD Driver successfully loads, but does not load again after a computer restart, you can set the Avid_Mac_HDDriver_Loader to automatically run on login by adding it to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items*(or you can simply launch the utility manually as required).

If the utility is not able to load the HD Driver, an error message should be posted describing the reason why it could not be loaded. In many cases, completely uninstalling the HD Driver (by running the Uninstall HD Driver.command found in the HD Driver installer folder) and then reinstalling*(following the clean install steps) will resolve the issue.

Press and hold the power button until the message "Loading startup options" appears.
A boot picker menu should appear.
Select Options and click Continue to continue into macOS Recovery.

blocked extensions - see antelope article -
https://support.antelopeaudio.com/en...mac-os-ventura
Thanks for you guid
Just couldnt find the link for Download the Avid_Mac_HDDriver_Loader utility!
I can just download the driver and I can not find loader utility
can u help me pls?
I dont know why always with avid we are in a big problem always with each update on Mac!
Old 02-25-2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for you guid
Just couldnt find the link for Download the Avid_Mac_HDDriver_Loader utility!
I can just download the driver and I can not find loader utility
can u help me pls?
I dont know why always with avid we are in a big problem always with each update on Mac!

Hi There,

here's the link to the full description and link(s) :
https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...411&popup=true

kind regards

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE