Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-23-1999, 09:30 AM

Default HEY DIGI! PLEASE RESPOND!

Can someone PLEASE tell me when I can ACTUALLY expect my free plugins?????????
It's been almost seven weeks since I bought and registered my mix+ and all I get from
<csadmin@digidesign.com> is "Your plug ins have been processed. Once they become available to ship, they will automatically be sent to you." OK but WHEN WILL THAT BE??? Does anyone there have the slightest guess? The free plugins offer page says "We will send your MIXpack within 4 to 6 weeks of Digidesign's receipt of your registration." I can understand delays but I would like the courtesy of knowing whether it'll be another week or another 8 weeks.
Old 11-23-1999, 10:01 AM
Avid

Default Re: HEY DIGI! PLEASE RESPOND!

I'm sorry that we haven't kept you in the loop. I checked on this and here's the current status;

Due to delays in manufacuring and installer testing the free plug-in offers will not ship until mid December. Please accept our apologies for this delay and any inconvenience it may cause.

Bob Langlie
DigiCS
Old 11-24-1999, 12:36 PM
Administrator

We feel a little furthur clarification is in order.

The shipment of the new MIXpack promotion of free TDM Plug-Ins, which was originally announced on Oct. 4, 1999, has been delayed. We would like to explain why there is a delay and leave it to you to decide if the reason is a fair one.

Digidesign felt that, as a company, shipping a stable Pro Tools 5.0 was our first priority. What this meant was that all of our resources (and we mean every last one) was exhausted, with over-time, to make sure that a solid Pro Tools 5.0 did not slip any further than it did.

What this means for your free MIXpack is that nobody was able to build, test and manufacture the new CD-ROM installer required for it within this time. It really does take a lot of work to get what may seem like a simple CD-ROM out the door. We do apologize for not making this information public earlier, but even we did not know when your free MIXpacks would be available until Pro Tools 5.0 was out the door.

When your free MIXpack was first announced we did not know that Pro Tools 5.0 would be delayed. The truth is Pro Tools 5.0 is, with out a doubt, the largest software release Digidesign has ever had...and it shows! Everybody who is eligible to receive the new MIXpack is also eligible to receive a free copy of Pro Tools 5.0. When you get your copy of Pro Tools 5.0, we hope that you will feel that your wait for your free Plug-Ins was worth it.

Pro Tools 5.0 has just shipped so we are now turning our attentions to your MIXpack CD-ROM, which we expect to be available by mid-December. If you have already registered your Pro Tools|24 MIX or MIXplus system purchased after Oct. 1, 1999, you should expect to receive your free MIXpack by the end of December.

The goal of the MIXpack is to give our customers a big "Thank You" with FREE Plug-Ins worth thousands of dollars. We hope that the intent of this generous offering does not become forgotten, because there is no question that you will get your free Plug-Ins.

-Digidesign Product Management
Old 11-24-1999, 02:34 PM

Dear Digidesign Project Management and Senior Management:

First, Let me state that I have never been disappointed by Digidesign directly. I purchased a number of products including a large implementation Protools 24| mixplus. The product works for us and in general we get excellent results and have been able to complete projects faster with your product set , than without. Thank you. We look forward to recieving 5.0

***** BUT *******

I am completely unimpressed with your EXCUSES for non-delivery! Especially since you waste NO time is taking money from your clients. EXCUSES DON'T CUT IT. As a Profession Information Systems Technologist, 20 year vet in project manager and having served as VP in many major IT organizations including Citibank, Traverlers, General Electric Heavy Military, Airtouch Cellular and others... ( i digress sorry )
I have completed many many software, hardware, network and systems integation projects ON TIME and ON BUDGET... In fact I never ( knock on a computer screen ) ever missed a Delivery date in the last 10 years of my project management career. (PS: i'm not the only one either...it's not magic..) If your project team is this bad in planning and implementation you had better redirect your efforts in teaching Project Management 101. I am assuming your engineers are good since your products are high quality , therefore it MUST be your Project expertise that simply SUCKS.
MEET your deadlines...period. Don't wait until the last minute to generate excuses.
Review your history of time in review, planning,risk assessment, design, testing, integration... Review and work with your vendors to reduce risk, ensure your project plans are detailed in such a way as to allow validation of status WEEKLY. Review the project daily. Deligate to Engineering teams both Accountability AND Responsibility. Don't let a project get that far behind schedule. I can't believe on the day of delivery your still putzing around with install tests...

BTW, Don't accept payments before you can assure delivery. You have a track record in bad planning and project management. Take a few of the dollars you're making on 5.0 and invest it in Sofware & Hardware Development Project management. (sigh)....
Excuses don't cut it... Delivery does. Top quality delivery on time is even better....

Call.. i'll be happy to give you project management training if it'll make your product get delivered to my Studio on-time and right the first time.

Sorry for my rant.. you hit a hot button of mine. ( PS: to all the digidesign engineers: I love your product... keep it up.. to the management team: Get your act together.)

------------------
Georgia Hilton
General Uncertainties
Samurai Music

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 11-26-1999, 12:33 AM

Thank you - Can't say that I agree more.

I spoke to my digi dealer and he had no idea why I had not received my MixPack. He said he would check with our regional sales rep, and that was a week ago. It might be a good idea for digi to let their dealers (and regional reps) in on some of this info... Just a suggestion... And to maybe change the info on the website where it says "4-6 weeks from digi's receipt of registration" to sometime after mid-december... or until we get done with PT5.0... Just another suggestion.

I have been sitting here wondering if digi had even received my registration info to make me eligible for a mix pack.

And on top of that, it's a real drag sitting around waiting for a couple of pieces of software that have become staples of Pro Tools (Amp Farm, Focusrite EQ & Comp). I don't want to go out and buy them because I am supposedly receiving free versions, but I also have work to do. And I was expecting those plugins in a timely manner, but now I'm going to have to figure something else out for another 3 weeks (at least...)

It's pretty disappointing for new customers who have just made a sizable investment to be alienated like this right off the bat. A little up front info, along the lines of "MixPacks won't be ready to ship until 3-4 weeks after PT5.0 is released" would have gone a long way. Digi has probably known that they wouldn't get around to assembling MixPacks until PT5.0 was finished for quite a while.

I'll be surprised if I see it before next year.
Old 11-26-1999, 06:49 AM

I couldn't resist weighing in on this one. I agree with Georgia but I think there's more to it. Looks like Digi is an organization in transition. Their minds have been blown by the demand for their products and the marketing boys got ahead of technical/engineering--a management problem--not uncommon in the commercial IT biz. Could be the multi-platform thing, MAC/NT, has had a much greater impact on the coding/testing/implementation cycle than Digi anticipated.
We run 2 PT mix systems in our small operation--a mix and a mix+. We did have to wait for plugins, but when they arrived they worked great.
I'd rather get an early "heads up" from Digi on what's comming, rather than have to make IT decisions in the dark. Besides, if the stuff wasn't "bleeding edge" we wouldn't like it as much!
Thanks Digi. Now ship PT5.0 ASAP.

Frank Senior
Old 11-26-1999, 11:27 AM

Why doesn't Digi just give us all focusrite,channelstrip,and hperprism tdm...and a few others for the wait...Just a thought