Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-18-2001, 07:14 AM

Default Networking - DIGI Respond Pls

We are using the PT on a G4 Apple Mac and would like to network the system to our AVID system thats running on a MPro IBM Intellistation.......

Can I take my EDLs and OMF'ed data from the AVID to the Apple Mac........ ???

In order to read the EDL on the Mac system do i need any conversion software ???

Thanks for you Reply in Advance
Old 04-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Avid

Default Re: Networking - DIGI Respond Pls

Quote:
Can I take my EDLs and OMF'ed data from the AVID to the Apple Mac........ ???
-Since the OMF file format is a standard (much like a Standard MIDI file), it is cross platform.

-EDL compatibility is not so straightforward since many formats exist. Assuming you are using PostConform on the Mac:

-PostConform can import industry standard CMX 340, 3400 and 3600 format EDL's (which normally come from a PC).

-If using some other EDL software, check with the manufacturer regarding compatibility with EDL formats.

Brent

Old 04-19-2001, 11:08 PM

Thanks Brent but your reply did not answer my question. You have explained to me the process of reading EDLs.

I would still have to copy the EDL to my Movable media and then take it from the AVID to the Protools system........ Right?

My question is whether i can network the AVID (working on the IBM Intellisation ) with a Protools (working on the Apple G4) ???
Whats the network procedure ?? We have tried and it isnt happening??

I guess i need to end with an apology since my earlier description of my problem was not too accurate.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2001, 11:53 PM

"My question is whether i can network the AVID (working on the IBM Intellisation ) with a Protools (working on the Apple G4) ??? What's the network procedure ?? We have tried and it isnt happening??"

Avid makes a product called Unity that is made to do exactly what you're asking for. It allows pro tools and Avids to not only be networked together with a server designed to work with Avid's and Pro Tools (Mac and PC) but you can also record/playback from shared drives. It's a fiber channel networking system. VERY HIGH END. Anything else would be simple networking (I said simple but making mac's and pc's network is not exactly simple). Software like "Dave" allow macs to transfer to PC's and vice versa. Fairly easy to use but it depends on how much networking experience you have.
Old 04-20-2001, 05:02 AM
Avid

Baxter,
There are a few ways you could network the two systems together. First, you could use Unity which would be the most efficient because you wouldn't have to copy anything between the systems, both systems would access to the same files. Second, you could setup an FTP server on either system and then FTP the files across. Third, if you can get access to NT server install disk you could install the Services for Macintosh on your NT based Avid, this would let you make an NTFS volume mountable on your Mac PT system. Fourth, you could use a normal file server as an intermediate location for the files.
Good luck,
MR