Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Thanks for the info, Shane! Glad to hear you've had a lot experience with both ECC and non ECC RAM and that you actually find non ECC to be beneficial in terms of performance and plugin count.

I regards to the Avid qualification, if you go to the same link you provided for the minimum system requirements and scroll down to "supported computers" they have a list of Windows "qualified" computers, and the only desktop qualified computers they have are HP Xeon workstations.

In an earlier post in this thread, #6470 by Ulisauer (post is currently on page 647 at the bottom), Ulisauer mentions that he has an i7 build and he needed support from Avid but they said they couldn't help him because it is not a supported computer.

It sounds like a lot of people are having success with I7 PCs and Pro Tools, and going with an I7 is the route that I really want to go because it seems like the performance and price blows everything else out of the water, but I am just concerned and trying to get the real deal on why there are no "qualified" or "supported" I7 desktops on that list.

Curiously, they have supported I7 laptops on there, but obviously the expectations of how far you can push a laptop are a lot lower than a desktop, so maybe they have a different qualification process for laptops?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pique Arestiuvee; 02-15-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pique Arestiuvee View Post
I regards to the Avid qualification, if you go to the same link you provided for the minimum system requirements and scroll down to "supported computers" they have a list of Windows "qualified" computers, and the only desktop qualified computers they have are HP Xeon workstations.
As mentioned earlier, the i7 is very much supported by Avid.

Quote:
In an earlier post in this thread, #6470 by Ulisauer (post is currently on page 647 at the bottom), Ulisauer mentions that he has an i7 build and he needed support from Avid but they said they couldn't help him because it is not a supported computer.
That is a different issue and not i7 related.

Quote:
...I am just concerned and trying to get the real deal on why there are no "qualified" or "supported" I7 desktops on that list.
It comes down to how much money and resources Avid wants to invest in qualified systems on PC. If anything, Microsoft PCs should also be on that list in my honest opinion. If you don't want to build your own and looking for a guaranteed prebuilt i7 system that works, then I highly recommend getting in touch with Nick or Steve.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Default i7 Builds - Specs and Results

The qualified list for professionals that absolutely need their systems to never break, or when they do, be able to call avid and get it fixed asap. Cost isn't an issue for these users. They will buy whatever avid says and are willing to pay for the premium support plans.

So Avid only picks and qualifies one line of PC computers that they use and test extensively. It's impossible to rigorously test all the possible PC's out there. And then trying to help someone trouble shoot over the phone? Not going to happen unless you have a qualified system. That doesn't mean you can't build as good or an even better system. Probably for less money. You just can't call avid and complain when something isn't going quite right. Which you probably won't need to ever do anyway if you build a system recommended by these guys, or buy a preconfigured system designed for pro tools. As mentioned above.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Cool thanks for the reply! I went back and looked at the minimum requirements page and found they actually wrote a note in there right above the Supported Computers section. Can't believe I missed it before. it says:

"It is important to note that Avid tests and qualifies specific configurations. While systems that meet the minimum requirements may operate without problems, please understand we can only provide support for qualified systems. Below you will find detailed information about qualified configurations."

I definitely like that line "while systems that meet the minimum requirements may operate without problems" part because it seems to go along with your theory about whether or not they want to spend time and money qualifying more PCs (since there are so many ways to build one). Knowing that with all the positive stuff I read in this thread it makes me feel a lot more comfortable going the I7 route.

I tried calling technical support today to see how they would handle it if I called in with a problem on on an I7 desktop build but couldn't get through. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and I'll update if I find out anything post-worthy.

Even if they don't offer support, the DUC always seems to have great solutions to problems anyways!

Last edited by Pique Arestiuvee; 02-15-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:57 PM

Yes Pro tools PC are great guys...

Neil and Steve will get you a great system
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yes Pro tools PC are great guys...

Neil and Steve will get you a great system
They sure did that for me!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 PM

As of a couple weeks ago, I believe every Avid supported HP machine has been discontinued or updated/changed. They are only available on the used market.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-16-2017, 07:56 AM

Hey everyone, I'm helping my boss put together a new PT 12 build after using OS X for many years. We're going to be running the latest version of PT HD and I just wanted to make sure the build I put together will play nicely with Pro Tools 12. All of the 'qualified' builds on the Avid site are outdated and no longer available for purchase. Here is the current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hrXdgL

We have 2 monitors and 1 TV we need to output to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newptbuild View Post
Hey everyone, I'm helping my boss put together a new PT 12 build after using OS X for many years. We're going to be running the latest version of PT HD and I just wanted to make sure the build I put together will play nicely with Pro Tools 12. All of the 'qualified' builds on the Avid site are outdated and no longer available for purchase. Here is the current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hrXdgL

We have 2 monitors and 1 TV we need to output to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You haven't mentioned the drive to which you will actually record.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Just a standard Western Digital 7200 rpm hard drive.