Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Default new venue workflows in PT9

Does PT9 give us the ethernet link between PT and Venue that was shown recently?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Default Re: new venue workflows in PT9

Well, the video of Sheldon at Plaza...he is using PT v 8.1.

I would sure hope that PT9 supports it...

Some questions I have are:

1. Will VENUE link support PT LE as well

2. If a patch change is made, will VENUE link automatically make the patch change as well in PT?

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM

It's Venue support specific, not ProTools version specific.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:01 PM

The Pro Tools 9 FAQ said that it is not qualified for use with VENUE, yet, so I wouldn't go higher than 8.1 at this point. Plus it doesn't look like there were any new features for HD users in 9 anyway unless you want to run Pro Tools without your console turned on. Turning on my console currently costs less than the cost of the Pro Tools 9 HD upgrade so I'm really in no hurry.

Dave
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post
Turning on my console currently costs less than the cost of the Pro Tools 9 HD upgrade so I'm really in no hurry.
That's a helpful yardstick for many upgrades!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM

I was over in the ProTools 9 Forum thread...one HD user is very pissed about the upgrade not having any real advanced for HD users.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
I was over in the ProTools 9 Forum thread...one HD user is very pissed about the upgrade not having any real advanced for HD users.
I have mixed feelings about it myself. I think the biggest issue is they're charging $350 for the HD upgrade for essentially no new big features.

If you are an existing HD user and need to add portability to Pro Tools, then this is probably a big win and might be worth the upgrade cost. I know of at least one guy on the road who has an expansion chassis with his HD cards in it, and then he runs Pro Tools on his laptop to track shows he's mixing on VENUE. If he's got Pro Tools 9 he can record at night and then won't need his expansion chassis to open up last night's show on the bus to do any editing or mixing. He could also add a little 3rd party small interface to the mix and record demos for the band during any downtime.

My point is, if you need a lot of the flexibility afforded by 9, upgrading your HD rig might be a good investment.

But if you're in an install situation like myself where you have several HD and LE rigs spread around the building, it doesn't make sense to upgrade right now. I'll probably put 9 on my laptop(s) at some point next year because having the ADC is something I would love to have for mixing at home, but there's still no rush for me.

Dave
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 AM

dstagl:

Yeah, Im in the same boat as you. My HD rig on the VENUE is running 7 still. Haha, because I have PCI cards. Nothing is wrong with that Mac...so not time for me to upgrade. The sucky part is...I just got a ProTools LE 8 system and then two days after I open the box, they announce PT 9. Hahaha, but hey, what I have works. Can't get "mad" about it, because things are constantly changing and being upgraded in our industry.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 AM

[QUOTE=dstagl;1693888]I have mixed feelings about it myself. I think the biggest issue is they're charging $350 for the HD upgrade for essentially no new big features.

The interesting part here is that once you paid for the HD upgrade you automatically get Complete Production Toolkit 2 ( cost 1200 USD ) which is pretty much a mirror of your HD rig and can be run on your native system. Otherwise, no big additions for HD. As Dave mentioned already, having delay compensation available for native systems is a big plus.

Radu
Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 AM

the real question is will we get the full 32 in/out that protools 9 gets?
32 I/O with SC48 would be awesome!! I know the people who bought HDx would get all bummed out and start throwing rocks, but I would really like 32 I/O!