Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Warning:go back to 8.01

Gotta chime in here:

I have PTLE 8.01cs1 imaged and in safe. I´m planning to update my "bedroom laptop" so I gave 8 a test. No probs yet, my sessions are large with live drum kits etc usual band stuff. 7.4 imaged as well. Yes, a light performace boost but nothing alarming by now. XP SP3 as usual...

#1 : Will my 003R still work with PTLE 7.4 after the 8.0 firmware update if I go back to 7.4 ? What about Mbox2 ?

#2 : If I update to 8.03 ( curious... ) and it won´t work, can I return the 8.01 image and keep on working - or does the driver "conflict" stay in the computer somehow? A bit unclear on this "stamp" thingy.

This is just a spare machine, my real work setup is 7.4 in my studio so I´m not gambling, just willing to see if PTLE 8 is worth getting a quad laptop for "bedroom edits" and overdubs, location recording, whatever... looks like that, based on what I see and hear now with PTLE 8.01.

( I also use Mix Plus with a G4... 6.4 TDM , so I´m all set to work , no matter how this PTLE update thingy goes. )

Thanks.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petander View Post
#1 : Will my 003R still work with PTLE 7.4 after the 8.0 firmware update if I go back to 7.4 ? What about Mbox2 ?
Yes. It will just do another firmware change when you revert back.

Quote:
#2 : If I update to 8.03 ( curious... ) and it won´t work, can I return the 8.01 image and keep on working...
Yes.

Quote:
... looks like that, based on what I see and hear now with PTLE 8.01.
8.0.1 is the most stable build so far from the 8.x era. 8.0.3, as you know, is beta.

Quote:
( I also use Mix Plus with a G4... 6.4 TDM , so I´m all set to work , no matter how this PTLE update thingy goes. )
Ah yes, brings back some painful memories. 6.4 was an absolute nightmare on PT LE back in the day. Good riddance to that one. 6.7 and 6.9 were pretty good from the 6.x era.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Space Cabin Audio

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=266397

Now it's gettin bad. It's one thing to blast headphones, and near fields, but wow.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=266397

Now it's gettin bad. It's one thing to blast headphones, and near fields, but wow.
A few users lost their NS-10 tweeters already. If that happens to mine, the repair bill goes to Avid(no joke). Thankfully, I always wear earplugs at live concerts.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Unhappy Re: Warning:go back to 8.01

Quote:
Well, I now have heard from another engineer this evening that this has also been seen on PTHD on the MAC side. hmmmmmmmm. This is totally ridiculous.
I am fine on 8.01, but wow. How is this even allowed to be still downloaded?

Consider this confirmation on Windows HD too.

1. Your OS version Windows XP Pro SP3
2. Your Pro Tools version 8.0.3 cs1
3. LE or M-Powered? HD2 Accel PCI-x
4. Which hardware you're using? 96 I/O (X2)
5. Do you have RTAS Error Suppression enabled or disabled? Enabled.
6. What your buffer size is and if anything changes at higher/lower buffer sizes. 1024.
7. Which troubleshooting you've tried. Trashed preferences, databases - the usual stuff.
8. Anything else you notice that may be relevant to the problem. Was tracking for hours Friday night and Saturday, and in mid recording, the white noise bursts just kicked in out of nowhere. It had been working great prior to that.
9. Are you using the 8.03 standard drivers or the beta drivers? Standard.

I will say that I had experienced this from time to time with 7.X as well, but never with 8.0 until I "upgraded" to 8.0.3. I've had a few 6031 errors since then, but I chalked it up to the huge session I had been working on.

The tracking session where the noise burst occurred was relatively modest in track counts, etc: One drum kit (approx 10 mikes), one guitar amp and one vocal. I may have had elastic audio enabled on the drum tracks, but was not "doing" anything with it yet when the noise started - it started in the middle of a recording pass. Yeah, it took all our heads off. I rebooted and relaunched, and upon opening, there was massive amounts of clipping in the WAV files. When I tried re-recording in the existing session, I got noise bursts again, so I created a whole new session from scratch (after rebooting again) and that seemed to clear up the problem and we managed to finish tracking that last song... but we were all a bit gun shy over the whole thing for the rest of the evening.

I really, REALLY wish there had been some sort of notice that we wouldn't be able to roll back from 8.0.3 to 8.0.1 in the event of any problems... and while I did read the notice that 8.0.3 should only be considered a beta version if you want to try running it with W7, I didn't see anything mentioning it should be considered as such by XP users.

I'm probably going to go start a warning thread about this over on my Harmony Central recording forum - at this point, I would recommend staying with 8.0.1 and not installing 8.0.3.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Consider this confirmation on Windows HD too.

1. Your OS version Windows XP Pro SP3
2. Your Pro Tools version 8.0.3 cs1
3. LE or M-Powered? HD2 Accel PCI-x
4. Which hardware you're using? 96 I/O (X2)
5. Do you have RTAS Error Suppression enabled or disabled? Enabled.
6. What your buffer size is and if anything changes at higher/lower buffer sizes. 1024.
7. Which troubleshooting you've tried. Trashed preferences, databases - the usual stuff.
8. Anything else you notice that may be relevant to the problem. Was tracking for hours Friday night and Saturday, and in mid recording, the white noise bursts just kicked in out of nowhere. It had been working great prior to that.

I will say that I had experienced this from time to time with 7.X as well, but never with 8.0 until I "upgraded" to 8.0.3. I've had a few 6031 errors since then, but I chalked it up to the huge session I had been working on.

The tracking session where the noise burst occurred was relatively modest in track counts, etc: One drum kit (approx 10 mikes), one guitar amp and one vocal. I may have had elastic audio enabled on the drum tracks, but was not "doing" anything with it yet when the noise started - it started in the middle of a recording pass. Yeah, it took all our heads off. I rebooted and relaunched, and upon opening, there was massive amounts of clipping in the WAV files. When I tried re-recording in the existing session, I got noise bursts again, so I created a whole new session from scratch (after rebooting again) and that seemed to clear up the problem and we managed to finish tracking that last song... but we were all a bit gun shy over the whole thing for the rest of the evening.

I really, REALLY wish there had been some sort of notice that we wouldn't be able to roll back from 8.0.3 to 8.0.1 in the event of any problems... and while I did read the notice that 8.0.3 should only be considered a beta version if you want to try running it with W7, I didn't see anything mentioning it should be considered as such by XP users.

I'm probably going to go start a warning thread about this over on my Harmony Central recording forum - at this point, I would recommend staying with 8.0.1 and not installing 8.0.3.
We have been telling people about his happening on XP as well as W7 for weeks, very sorry this hasn't gotten to you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Seemed to solve white noise problem with XP SP2

I also installed V8.0.3 and had the white noise problem, and I could recreate it fairly regularly, probably because I have an older Windows workstation. The workstation is a Pentium 4, 3GHz machine with 3 Gigs of memory. My CPU is a Prescott with Hyperthreading. In Pro Tools I have CPU on 2 @90%.

1. Your OS version: Windows XP Pro SP2
2. Your Pro Tools version: 8.0.3
3. LE or M-Powered? LE
4. Which hardware you're using? 003 Rack +
5. Do you have RTAS Error Suppression enabled or disabled? disabled
6. What your buffer size is and if anything changes at higher/lower buffer sizes: 256 usually, no changes at higher or lower level.
7. Which troubleshooting you've tried. Hardware buffer changes, Changing CPU from 2 to 1, 88 - 99%, DAE buffer settings
8. Anything else you notice that may be relevant to the problem. Could recreate the white noise problem by letting the session play for about 1 min (sometimes more, sometimes less), then stopping/starting the session.

I finally eliminated the white noise by taking my DAE setting to Level 4, but didn't increase the buffer size. Now my system runs better than it ever did and I track with Low Latency enabled and can still use my headphone cue monitoring on an Aux track. As a side note, the white noise was also accompanied by my audio fading in and out a little later, randomly, between the L & R speakers/headphones. I've tracked & mixed for several days with no problem after the changes. I hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
A few users lost their NS-10 tweeters already. If that happens to mine, the repair bill goes to Avid(no joke). Thankfully, I always wear earplugs at live concerts.

Shane
A one-amp fuse on the NS10s has saved me more that once.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
A one-amp fuse on the NS10s has saved me more that once.
HAHAHAHAHA!! That is if they have been modded to have the fuse

By the way, even though I refuse to use NS10's, that little fuse has saved my ass a few times.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA!! That is if they have been modded to have the fuse

By the way, even though I refuse to use NS10's, that little fuse has saved my ass a few times.
I have clients that feel they need them.

And yes, a little $1.50 fuse block from Radio Shack can save hundreds.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com