Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Default best sampler to work with protools?

looking for a sampler for sound design work.. must be drag an drop samples into editor...

full screen key mapping/editor...

right now I'm using reason 3 - but its bugging me becos of the lack of drag an drop and editing in a postage stamp...

I havent had a demo of anythign yet - my local dealer keeps stringin me on about Mach 5..

what else should I ask to see?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Default Re: best sampler to work with protools?

what about the built in one, Structure? i've done many tv series sound desgin with it and it works great, within protools. drag something from the timeline or where ever and blam.....start pitching or driving it...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 AM

ah - never heard of it.. only started using PT again after a 10 year break ( and even then I was relucatant to use it )

assume that's in the instruments?

today I am using DP7 for a cartoon series I am workin on - still on the fence about which is best for my business.. but I am (perhaps ) leanin towards PT 10 for editing.. altho after 10 years mixing in DP I find it suits me better for that..

( DP channel strip is great IMO - also access to reverb sends is better in there.. ) ( any tips on less clicks for sending reverb levels? my mix issues are seems all over the place to me - click on the send - then move over to the fader that pops up? hard work!!! am I doin it wrong? and snap shots too... thought it was 'apple option / " but dont seem to work for me ( CPTK here )

so I wonder if a none DAW specific would be better for me - altho I will defo take a look thanks

and yeah pitchin an driving / looping / stupid reverbs etc are what I am after in this instance :)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:48 AM

I highly recommend you N.I. Kontakt, not only for sound design but for any other use such as foley (as a complementary tool) and music. This is the industry standard.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:06 AM

hi - yeh I just had a look at structure - its US$400 - which i need to check but is a large part of Motu mach 5 interms of cash outlay

actually I do have a bunch of colaborators - and one reason reason has done well is cos a lot of em have it already.. so I can create patches - and share those patches

I need to do some readin up - cos I have been comfortable for about 10 years doin this - but I think its time to move on a bit..

but does Kontact has a free player? so if I make some patches I can share them easily? as if I get freelancer freddie to help out makin sure he can use my stuff might be an issue?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 AM

For samples to work in the free Kontakt player, a license fee must be paid to NI. To work in the full Kontakt version, this is not required. But the samples will still work in the player version for 15 minutes.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Alchemy has a free version of it's sampler that can import samples and do some editing.

http://www.camelaudio.com/AlchemyPlayer.php
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 AM

The only real gotcha with Structure is that in PT11, for the time being, drag & drop from the timeline is disabled.

Drag & drop works fine in PT10 and lower, and it will be reinstated in a future update for PT11.

Structure Free is included (free, as the name would suggest) with Pro Tools, and does most of the things you need, although you're limited to 4 patches per instance, and I think looping is pretty limited (though you can work around that to a degree).

As for your reverb sends / faders issue, you can always go in to the preferences and change the assignments to faders - that will display mini faders in the sends of the mix window.

You're limited by how many you can show at once in PT10 and lower (if you only need one or two it's not an issue), but as of PT11 you can see all the sends as mini faders in a matrix view.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 AM

hmm - dont see structure free in my version of PT10.36 CPTK - I am assuming its accessed by creating an AUX then choosing a plug in ( in the instrument section? ) had a dig thru all of them..

checking out alchemy -- SFZ format? that seems interesting.. will download..

I have a feeling an input aux in PT an what ever plugs I wanna play with might work... free sounds great tho!

looking for the pref mentioned to change assignments to faders - sleepless nights here presently - my twin girls are 3 weeks old now! :) but not seeing it.. I found sends default to "- inf" - but no mention of faders.. 2 or 3 sends would work ok - altho ideally 4...

not ready to go to PT 11 yet - altho the lack of faster than realtime bounce may cripple me since I will have 52 - 22 minute eps of stereo mix + D + M + E to spit out in 2 or 3 months time.. ( hence still thinking about using DP to mix )
Old 10-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
hmm - dont see structure free in my version of PT10.36 CPTK - I am assuming its accessed by creating an AUX then choosing a plug in ( in the instrument section? ) had a dig thru all of them..

checking out alchemy -- SFZ format? that seems interesting.. will download..

I have a feeling an input aux in PT an what ever plugs I wanna play with might work... free sounds great tho!

looking for the pref mentioned to change assignments to faders - sleepless nights here presently - my twin girls are 3 weeks old now! :) but not seeing it.. I found sends default to "- inf" - but no mention of faders.. 2 or 3 sends would work ok - altho ideally 4...

not ready to go to PT 11 yet - altho the lack of faster than realtime bounce may cripple me since I will have 52 - 22 minute eps of stereo mix + D + M + E to spit out in 2 or 3 months time.. ( hence still thinking about using DP to mix )

Can you see any of the included instruments? (Boom, Vacuum, DB-33, Mini Grand, Xpand!2, Structure Free).

Can you see any of the AIR plug-ins? (AIR Vintage Filter, AIR Frequency Shifter etc).

They should all have been installed with Pro Tools, but if you don't have any of them, log in to your Avid account and see if there is a download for the AIR Creative Collection for you to install.

This link for Structure Free should work regardless.

You'd probably want to use an Instrument Track, rather than an Aux, as it basically combines an Aux track with a MIDI Track, saving on screen real estate, and already routed for you.

My mistake with the sends view :

It's not in the Preferences, but under the "View" menu - Sends A-E / Sends F-J. You have the option of "Assignments" (the default view), and the individual send, so that limits you to viewing one fader per group (two faders in total).

Hope that helps.