Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

I have not, and will not, upgrade to Pro Tools HD11 until an "unsupported controller driver" is released AND I know I am not alone.

I have dealt with the 3-bit (8 character) sends naming limitation on Pro Tools HD10 with my ProControl, and it's not that bad.

You're making your diehard supporters (many of whom are just hanging on these days) feel very betrayed. We've sung your praises for years and defended many of your 'less popular decisions' since the 1990s.

Dealing with the ProControl's Matrix can't be that hard. I understand why the Control|24 people are even more mad seeing that it's very close to C|24 in many aspects.

And word from the Beta team members that the ProControl & Control|24 Controller personalities WERE in the pre-Gold Master HD11 builds is even more infuriating!

If there's some other 'new bug', so be it! I'll work around it if it's not a showstopper.

Making these controllers 'boat anchors' for anyone looking to go forward is also very 'un-green' and reflects poorly on the company that is the 'worldwide industry leader'.

Come on Avid, just give some programmer the job OR sell me a $250 iLok asset to allow us to continue to work with these highly functional machines!

Do we need to start an indie Go Go campaign to make it happen?!? If it's about money, I'll pay. Let's go!

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 01-02-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmacdaddy View Post
Do we need to start an indie Go Go campaign to make it happen?!? If it's about money, I'll pay. Let's go!
Avid jumped the shark, here. Trust me... just remember this chain of events.

I've never seen a company outside of Microsoft (possibly) who is so resented by its user-base and this is the final nail. Pros are going to look for other options, cut back Avid expenses and find other options.

And if Avid thinks they can alienate their pro users because they're only a percentage of their base, they're sorlely mistaken. This stuff trickles down. I work for a big 3 entertainment corp and the vibes I'm getting speaking to people in the industry is way down on Avid. (Remember, all of the pros working for the big houses also run systems at home, and expected Avid to treat them like customers... not enemies.) And also keep in mind... many facilities here are regularly making decisions between Avid systems and other (better) options. I wonder how long before the trickle-down starts affecting video options in larger houses.

It's going to be interesting to watch this play out. I've dumped money into Digi/Avid on a yearly basis... happily supporting the best option out there.
Until they rectify this, I will make it my life's work to avoid spending money on their products. I'll buy used, or not at all. I'm only one guy... but I imagine thousands are feeling this way... and will infect thousands of others.

Last edited by sparky3000; 01-02-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky3000 View Post
Avid jumped the shark, here. Trust me... just remember this chain of events.

I've never seen a company outside of Microsoft (possibly) who is so resented by its user-base and this is the final nail. Pros are going to look for other options, cut back Avid expenses and find other options.
Microsoft?? What have they done?? Why would they be "resented"??? Apple does what Avid did every few years time and time again and it is cheered and applauded. When does Microsoft do this? Has Apple EVER supported an OS as long Microsoft has done with say XP?? Apple regularly bricks hardware. Microsoft does not do this.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Every company has done it - nobody likes it when it happens

10 years is a good stretch - that being said I didn't spend 30-60k on a controller I. Can't use anymore so I am a little more forgiving
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Microsoft?? What have they done?? Why would they be "resented"??? Apple does what Avid did every few years time and time again and it is cheered and applauded. When does Microsoft do this? Has Apple EVER supported an OS as long Microsoft has done with say XP?? Apple regularly bricks hardware. Microsoft does not do this.
Microsoft users probably wish they would brick their hardware.

I'm just reporting what I experience. The only other company I can think of that fosters that kind of resentment FROM ITS USERS seems to be MSFT. Given, it's for different reasons... subpar products.

And in truth it's not a great analogy, computer technology to a HUI, which is basically a giant mouse.

Everyone on this board knows damned well Avid could fix this in an afternoon if they wanted to. But, they're choosing not to. It's a business decision, and one that will end up costing them... as so many have in the history of Digi/Avid.

Take a look at both companies' stock performance if you want to know who between Apple and Avid is making their customers happy.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
10 years is a good stretch -
Not really. If we were talking about HD cards or something, I might agree.
But, it's a simple ethernet peripheral. It's like saying 10 years is a good run for a mouse, or a monitor. (Failure aside)

I read Avid's press release and the little pat on the head... "hey, you minions just be quiet and appreciate that we didn't code out your controllers earlier... now get out there and buy our overpriced, underperforming new surfaces...."

Please. This isn't a technology issue. So, let's not compare it to the massive advances in computing that have occurred in the past 10 years. This was a business decision.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Microsoft users probably wish they would brick their hardware.

I'm just reporting what I experience. The only other company I can think of that fosters that kind of resentment FROM ITS USERS seems to be MSFT. Given, it's for different reasons... subpar products.
I run both Microsoft OS and Apple OS products/computers. I have no resentment towards Microsoft especially considering I have no worries about my hardware becoming a doorstop if I wish to keep current in coming years. Same holds true on the OS. I dont worry about programs or hardware not working when I update my OS. You obviously drank the Apple kool-aid, and thats fine, but your opinions are obviously just that and are obviously not based on any sort of experience.

Quote:
And in truth it's not a great analogy, computer technology to a HUI, which is basically a giant mouse.
Exactly, Its a horrible analogy.

Quote:
Everyone on this board knows damned well Avid could fix this in an afternoon if they wanted to. But, they're choosing not to. It's a business decision, and one that will end up costing them... as so many have in the history of Digi/Avid.
Actually, we dont know this. It can only be assumed. I dont work for them. Do you??

Quote:
Take a look at both companies' stock performance if you want to know who between Apple and Avid is making their customers happy.
Apple is in the game like it is because of the music store and IOS products, NOT from it Mac Pro, Imac, or mini line. Actually as many years as it took for it to update the Mac pro should be a very good indicator of that. Its personal computer line was pretty sad for the professional wanting a modern and powerful system up to this point. Then considering what you get for the price of the nMP, I am even happier my HDN system runs so well on my Windows machine or could hackintosh if I felt like it.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
, I am even happier my HDN system runs so well on my Windows machine
What interface ?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Guitardom,

I wish you the best with Windows, building computers, whatever floats your boat.
I've used both systems for years, and am simply reporting facts as I've collected them over two decades. I don't have time to get into a pissing contest with you because you're sensitive about the platform you choose. I honestly don't care what you chose, and that wasn't the point.

The point was that Avid is garnering resentment from their users. Or, have you not noticed the prior 180 pages of this thread?

And of course we know Avid can quickly and easily put out a patch to get these surfaces online. Are you kidding? You think they can get the C24 online, but are for some reason totally incapable of getting the Control 24, essentially the same technology?

Now... who's drinking the kook-aid?

Now, you run along and scream at the skies about how much you hate Apple and their dominating success in the tech market. That's irrelevant. What IS relevant is Avid's sinking ship, poor decisions and apparent disdain for their long-time customers.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
What interface ?
in my signature 16x16 and an Eleven rack.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10