Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 12-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Default Artist Control controlling other things

Late to the party. Heard not so complimentary things about the Euphonix machines, figured by now issues may have been straightened out... maybe not?

I am coming from a world where my Command 8 was BULLETPROOF... until it died a couple of weeks ago and it's CAD$500 to fix it, so I figured, meh, about time for an "upgrade" to the newest thing.

So far, the new Control has worked flawlessly for me in PT.

Now, in trying to use the Command 8 in stand-alone mode, I tried (a LONG long time ago in the beginning) to set up MIDI maps for controlling other stuff (e.g. Reason). Pain in the butt, maybe I'm too lazy, but I gave up.

In looking at the Control feature list, it would appear that there's MCU and HUI control available from it.

Now, in having attempted to get Reason 8 to see it (neither manually setting it up nor doing a "detect control surfaces" thing), I cannot get it to see it. Yes, I've dragged the application to the appropriate Eucon screen. Yes, the application sees the ports. But no response.

I would also like to use it with Harrison's Mixbus with their interim v3 release that has started to support third-party control protocols. Similar thing - application has been dragged to the Eucon screen, the application sees the ports... but no response.

Any suggestions on a MCU/HUI command sniffer a la http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ for MIDI, see if the dumb thing is even transmitting stuff? Or might I be missing something on the Eucon/Control side?

Mac OS 10.10.5, PT 12.3.1, Eucon 3.3.2 (or whatever the latest one is). Firmware up to date on the Control.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Artist Control controlling other things

Here we go... 6-month bump, what with a Eucon update and Kyle back to being active. Trying to use the advertised MCU mode to control things other than ProTools. Now on PT 12.5, EUCON 3.4.

Reason will now see the control surface, and in fact, when locking its mixer to the Artist Control, will bank faders... but 8 at a time. Not 4. Any way to change/configure this?

Regarding Mixbus... still no joy in having the software see the controller or vice versa. Configured the same way that works with Reason, Mixbus will a) not see commands from the surface, b) manipulating mixer from the program will not make the control surface do stuff, c) even in discovery mode, although the program can be set to receive from Euphonix MIDI port 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, the program will not see anything. Further to that, let's say I have Reason occupying ports 1-4 via Eucon settings in System Preferences (Mac, OS 10.10.5), if I set Mixbus to ports 5-8 (as I am forced to, or anything except the 1-4 occupied by Reason), those ports are not visible at all. I cannot see the additional ports even in AMS, and in AMS, the option to "Add Ports" is not available (greyed out). As mentioned, I tried setting up my Command 8 to control Mixbus via manual MIDI learning/mapping, and it worked... but it was a pain in the butt so I gave up. In other words, the program can send and receive MIDI from a control surface, but for some reason MCU from the Artist Control doesn't. Mixbus says they report others having the same issue with Artist series surfaces, but other MCU surfaces (e.g. Behringer, etc.) do work.

Ideas?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM

One interesting note is that with 3.4 installed, Sony Vegas Pro successfully interfaced with the Artist Mix units on the first try. I have had (very) intermittent success previously with Vegas Pro and Artist Mix but with 3.4 it worked the first try.

Hopefully that continues.

Andy
Old 06-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Is it me, or is it bad that you are hoping that something sort of kind of continues to work?

How about getting working as advertised - MCU?

Kyle?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 AM

Let me clarify what I wrote, Sony Vegas Pro has never consistently worked with Artist Mix (maybe worked once in 10 Vegas Pro boots).

With Eucon 3.4 it now consistently works.

So, this is a case Avid has corrected a bug and I greatly appreciate it. The number of bugs that are corrected on 3.4 is truly impressive.

Andy
Old 06-05-2016, 09:44 AM

Okay.

And yes, 3.4 has fixed a bunch for me too, including "almost" being able to use it with Reason as opposed to "not a chance".

Doesn't mean it works as advertised, and that's what I am expecting.

Hey, if they can't get stereo panning properly implemented with Pro Tools, their own software until the update before 3.4, and it takes until 3.4 for Input Monitoring and to make sure plugin windows actually go away on going to "home" on the control surface, I can understand that maybe HUI may not work properly either. But I still expect it to work as advertised, I'd just like to know how and when. Their philosophy is that everything on the market is broken, since they claim nothing's on the market is bug-free... I just don't agree with that philosophy.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:38 PM

It's been acknowledged.

Even though dragging an app into System Preferences/Eucon forces Eucon to present more ports than just 1-4, ports higher than 4 are not visible to AMS on OS 10.10.5 (maybe others?) and thus not visible to other applications. So never mind using multiple apps via MCU at once, you cannot set up multiple apps to be controlled by the Artist Control without having to reset your Eucon configuration.

No workaround.

Problem logged, no ETA provided.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM

So... no one using their Artist Control for MCU operations and finding it tricky?

Any documentation from Avid on how to troubleshoot it when it doesn't work?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:42 PM

On having given AVID the direct contact at Harrison so they can troubleshoot MCU issues, and on advising them that Harrison has actually acquired an Artist Mix and Artist Control to troubleshoot the problem... nothing. No results. PM'ed Kyle... no answer.

I bought this surface, at a disproportionately inflated cost (especially in view of the fact that it's relatively mature hardware) instead of the X-Touch because of it's advertised compatibility with BOTH Pro Tools and MCU-protocol-controlled software. This doesn't seem to work, and a "Bill" in tech support will not guarantee that this will be fixed. I will be returning this to my dealer for an X-Touch that DOES work as advertised unless AVID will a) guarantee a fix and b) provide a timeline for correcting their truly deficient Mackie implementation. There are others who have been griping about it, so I know I'm not alone.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM

Eddie has mentioned Eucon 3.5 elsewhere on the forums, and that it will hopefully be released within a month or so if beta testing goes well. Kyle, have you resolved the HUI/MCU issues? Have you reached out to Harrison yet to resolve them? They have your full slate of Artist Series machines waiting to debug Eucon with you.