Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-10-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Odd MIDI Behavior

I encountered an issue with MIDI when recording some tracks yesterday. I was composing a couple parts for a project. I wanted to do it in sections (intro - verse etc). I recorded the MIDI for the intro. I then assigned the output of that MIDI track to a specific VI. I then set up a 2nd MIDI track to record the next section, I set the transport to begin recording at the proper measure, but had the transport begin a bit prior, as I want to hear the first part on the other VI so I could come in properly with the next part. This is where it starting acting odd. The instrument I was playing on the 2nd part was different than the VI being played by the first MIDI track. When I hit record/play to lay down the new part, the MIDI played like just the first chord of the first MIDI part, and that was it. The transport didn't stop...its just the MIDI track stopped playing anything.

BUT - when I changed the record start area to match where I set the transport to begin playing, it all worked fine. I've never had that happen before. And I have no explanation for it either.

I've done other sessions where I started playback a few measures before the selected record area, all with MIDI, and no problem. I closed and re-opened the session...no effect. I closed PT and rebooted back to the session...no effect. I rebooted my entire system...no effect. It made no sense.

Anyone have an insight as to what might be the cause of this?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Odd MIDI Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I encountered an issue with MIDI when recording some tracks yesterday. I was composing a couple parts for a project. I wanted to do it in sections (intro - verse etc). I recorded the MIDI for the intro. I then assigned the output of that MIDI track to a specific VI. I then set up a 2nd MIDI track to record the next section, I set the transport to begin recording at the proper measure, but had the transport begin a bit prior, as I want to hear the first part on the other VI so I could come in properly with the next part. This is where it starting acting odd. The instrument I was playing on the 2nd part was different than the VI being played by the first MIDI track. When I hit record/play to lay down the new part, the MIDI played like just the first chord of the first MIDI part, and that was it. The transport didn't stop...its just the MIDI track stopped playing anything.

BUT - when I changed the record start area to match where I set the transport to begin playing, it all worked fine. I've never had that happen before. And I have no explanation for it either.

I've done other sessions where I started playback a few measures before the selected record area, all with MIDI, and no problem. I closed and re-opened the session...no effect. I closed PT and rebooted back to the session...no effect. I rebooted my entire system...no effect. It made no sense.

Anyone have an insight as to what might be the cause of this?
Interesting. I'll be back if I can duplicate this behavior.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Odd MIDI Behavior

Thanks Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk