Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Avid needs to seriously change how they do business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
Not really.

I got a loan from the bank to buy a car (like many who buy HD systems with loans i.e. credit card, financing, etc). Once the money was given to the dealer, I drove the car off the lot and now pay the bank a monthly car note. The dealership or manufacturer did not also charge me a yearly subscription fee to continue using the car that I purchased from them, then wonder why I am upset that the quarterly oil change and tire rotation are not free.
Some dealerships also offer lifetime oil changes and tire rotations. Of course, that's usually only if you finance through them, and I'm sure the purchase prices and finance terms reflect those extra costs to them.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Re: When will Avid gain some morals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Almost all U.S. software developers that are public corporations were operating outside the U.S. accounting laws law until recently.

At this point their only choices are to offer free updates until people are required to repurchase the software at full price, rent the software to users or make updates part of a paid technical support plan. Avid chose to offer a choice between the latter two. Adobe, Autodesk, Sony and a number of others went rental-only. Apple went with the first option with no discounted version updates.

People can complain all they want but Avid can't legally return to how they and most others did business twenty years ago.

Bob, if it really is that simple, then help me understand why Avid does just not say that? Practically everyone I knows feels the same way I do about the bug fixes, being, they should keep coming as long as they are being fixed for the version you own.

The fact that they have not communicated that, makes me feel it is not as simple/limited as you think it is. I amongst others are not likely to complain about something that is clearly out of Avid's hands.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-10-2017, 02:14 PM

This is how I look at it.
I see an advertisement on the TV of a car which has lots of toys built in, sat Nav, Bluetooth, electric seats, rain sensitive wipers, you name it. I purchase the car and I find that some of these toys don't work as intended. Should I pay the dealership to fix them or should they fix it for free?
My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Bob, if it really is that simple, then help me understand why Avid does just not say that? Practically everyone I knows feels the same way I do about the bug fixes, being, they should keep coming as long as they are being fixed for the version you own.

The fact that they have not communicated that, makes me feel it is not as simple/limited as you think it is. I amongst others are not likely to complain about something that is clearly out of Avid's hands.
It was explained here and on the Avid website but people choose to keep the flood of "evil Avid" conspiracy theories going.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It was explained here and on the Avid website but people choose to keep the flood of "evil Avid" conspiracy theories going.
The first I've ever head of your theory was today. I'm in this forum every single day, have been for years, how in the world have I missed this?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic1982 View Post
lifting the limit on number of sends or inserts
Don't start a flame war :)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
Not really.

I got a loan from the bank to buy a car (like many who buy HD systems with loans i.e. credit card, financing, etc). Once the money was given to the dealer, I drove the car off the lot and now pay the bank a monthly car note. The dealership or manufacturer did not also charge me a yearly subscription fee to continue using the car that I purchased from them, then wonder why I am upset that the quarterly oil change and tire rotation are not free.
Oh but you're still paying a subscription, not to the dealership but to the bank, stop paying your subscription and the car will be taken away from you.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-12-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Oh but you're still paying a subscription, not to the dealership but to the bank, stop paying your subscription and the car will be taken away from you.

That isn't really right. A subscription is the same as a lease, not a loan. The difference is the creation of equity from borrowing. You repay your loan, you inevitably end up owning a share, if not all of that car... unless you only cover the interest repayments. That cannot happen with leases and subscriptions.

Avid shot themselves in the foot thanks to their own heavy handed tactics. When HD10 hit the market you could buy legitimate software licenses on eBay for $550 a pop. Avid then tried to leverage it all by restricting HD license transfers and sales to HD systems only. Over the last few years it has all come full circle. HDN and HDX cards have hit rock bottom on the used market, Avid now sell all of their components and software separately...

Avid really do need to change how they do business. If they were a bank, the uncertainty they have generated over the last 5 years would be enough to have the majority of their customers running for the hills. It is the constant changes to try and leverage a new aspect of PT's that is plainly and simply nuts.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM

We have a lot of offers around us. Today I'm on Pro Tools and I came from Cubase 9 (I hate it's new childish overloaded buggy interface, not the actual performance). I tried S1 and is ok, it's growing as a platform. I chose PT because of it's sound, I find it have a bit of an edge above others (not capital) and because of ergonomics. Nothing stops me to jump on another boat if I don't find PT suitable anymore. Now is very restricted price/price in comparison with competition. But it sounds good. When this gap will be ended, and it will be because the others are moving really fast, watch Harrison for example, only reliable bussines will remain. Now I'm here and I hope they will unlock in time more and more features at a competitive price. To be fair, even HD is limited in features next to way cheaper competitors. As perpetual license, for regular PT, I think it's a good deal and it's priced fairly based on the ideea that they will unlock new features (I hope) that others have from immemorial times. I'm not killing PT, I like it, I find it reliable regarding results and without a doubt a professional tool.Today everything is fast an they have to balance rapidly shareholders/clients interest because others does that and they are like wolves.

Last edited by saptezsapte; 03-14-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
If a HD owner stops paying the credit card bill for the system financed then his credit score is negatively effected. If he stops paying the bank for the car then the bank takes the car for payment....

The consequence for not paying back the loan may be different, but only one company in this analogy charges to continue using the product purchased by the loan... That's where free phone support makes sense (especially considering that the Avid phone support person doesn't have to put the HD system on a lift and, with physical labor, change the oil or the alternator).

For cash paying customers, the loan part of the analogy is irrelevant, and thus makes the OP more relevant (especially for HD users who pay the premium subscription price after purchasing the product).