Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 AM

Default converting from -20dBFS to -18dBFS and staying at -24LKFS

Hello!
I have a deliverables technical question and I hope you guys can help me out.

My international mixes for TV Programmes are usually mixed with a reference to -20dBFS with peaks no more than -10dBFS, and LM100 within -24LKFS (I use Waves WLM to monitor the loudness)

Now I need to deliver to another network at a reference tone level of -18dBFS with True Peak not exceeding -2dBFS, and programme loudness to measure at -24LKFS

Should I use GAIN and render a +2 to my final mixed files, so that the -20 reference will equate to -18?

But what about programme loudness? If it were already within -24LKFS when I mix in -20dBFS, and if i were to raise the overall with +2 Gain, would that make the programme +2dBFS louder and it would break the -24LKFS limit?

Or should I deliver the original mix without any +2 GAIN rendered, and just change the reference tone files to -18?

How do you guys mixes for 2 different sets of reference tones?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Default Re: converting from -20dBFS to -18dBFS and staying at -24LKFS

Do not gain the whole mix up... just change the tones... thats the line up tone, its not that the digital headroom changes, if that makes any sense.

If you can peak as high as -2 now and want to then maybe messing with your limiting to let things spike a bit higher but depending on how hard you are hitting them that may alter the sound of the mix too much. some broadcasters will kick things back for not using the useable range they have specified, others dont care, without knowing the specifics of where the mixes are being delivered I couldnt tell you whether its better to go to -2 (or near it) or just leave your peaks at -10 and call it a day.

MKD Creative
Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
Do not gain the whole mix up... just change the tones... thats the line up tone, its not that the digital headroom changes, if that makes any sense.

If you can peak as high as -2 now and want to then maybe messing with your limiting to let things spike a bit higher but depending on how hard you are hitting them that may alter the sound of the mix too much. some broadcasters will kick things back for not using the useable range they have specified, others dont care, without knowing the specifics of where the mixes are being delivered I couldnt tell you whether its better to go to -2 (or near it) or just leave your peaks at -10 and call it a day.
Thank you for the info! I tried gaining up my mix file with +2 just now, and true enough, it broke the -24LKFS barrier! So your info is useful! It's just a matter of changing the reference levels. My studio is set to mix at -20dBFS, so I thought getting it to -18 was adding +2dBFS..

As for True Peaks, I am not sure if I want to remix and allow peaks up to -2dBFS. This allowance is stated by Network Ten (Australia). I am delivering to both Network Ten and Nickelodeon.

Nickelodeon mentions reference tone at -18, and Network Ten allows either -18 or -20. Thus, I am going to set -18dBFS for both.

For other networks, we usually mix at -20dBFS and max peak at -10dBFS, ie. Discovery, Nat Geo. Thus we calibrated our equipment that reference to 1kHz@-20dBFS for playouts.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:31 AM

Just give channel 10 the same mix, it'll be fine.