Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Re: S3L - The early death of a sweet console and what could follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSendra View Post
I get 4.6... and ... mmmm ... two years waiting for that? Really?
I Think it's fair tot say that there are also other companies arround who don't do better on updates as Avid. Avid is slow on update's but at least there is development. I honestly don't think that Brand as Midas and Yamaha do better except there iPad app might be better. But for the rest, looking back Avid had done some major updates on the First Venue line.

Besides that I don't think that s3lx was such a huge success. So when there are not a lot of sales, putting a lot of effort in it is a huge investment in time. Which could be spend elsewhere like for another desk besides S6L brother which could be more mature.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 AM

"You will soon be able to purchase the VENUE 4.6 upgrade for S3L-X directly from the Avid Store"

When?!
Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Hello Members of this 'selected' S3L lovers group. I've bought this console about a year ago (something to do with a money from the government and the Institution I work for), and I kinda love it, its smooth, sounds great and have lots of potential, unfortunately as you've established is a console with a dark and uncertain future.

I was reading by and I wanted to post to tell my little story. As you may have know by now the 4.6.0 Update is available (can't tell if for purchase) but I have it on my account for about 3 weeks now; and let me tell you after I updated it, I worked really good with it! until last saturday when I have to make my first soundcheck (recording VIA Pro Tools on a Macbook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3 and PT 2018). Even I tried on a MacMini with Mavericks (10.9.5 and PT 10 and PT 12.8.3)

When trying to make it work (which never happened) I realized my S3Lx-System wasn't recognizing my ProTools as External Device (in the Devices Tab on System config). And even I tried for several hours I couldn't make that recording.... any thoughts? I only wonder if It had something to do with this new update. After this I talked to Latin American support (I'm Argentinian living in Colombia) they told me to restore to 4.5.3 Version (which didn't work either)

Of course I checked my connections (you may ask). I got the redundant connection from E3 (A and B) to my 3 Stage Boxes and my C connection to the A port on my S3 Surface, and then B port from surface to my Macbook.

If you have any advice on what should I tried I'd be delighted. But let me give you an advice in case you don't already know: DON'T UPDATE IT directly, make a Restore Update when coming to 4.6.0

Thanks community and sorry for my english!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:43 PM

Off the top, make sure that any Mac that you use has Thunderbolt hardware support. This guarantees that there will be AVB support built into the computer.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXerton View Post
But let me give you an advice in case you don't already know: DON'T UPDATE IT directly, make a Restore Update when coming to 4.6.0
It's a questionable advice. This doesn't change anything as for PT connectivity. In your case I believe the issue is outside of the VENUE system. Especially if you tried downgrading to 4.5.3 with no luck.

So does E3 show up in Audio MIDI Setup->Network Device Browser? Is E3 enabled there? If both "yes", then is VenueLink connected in PT?

P.S. Btw, I would suggest using El Captain.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
Off the top, make sure that any Mac that you use has Thunderbolt hardware support. This guarantees that there will be AVB support built into the computer.
Yes! Indeed, and in Fact I've recorded 2 times before upgrading to 4.6.0 with the same MacBook Pro (running Mavericks 10.9.5 and PT 10), that's why I'm so lost in this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
It's a questionable advice.
Yeah, I know or thought the same... but the advice was given by the Latin American Support

Quote:
So does E3 show up in Audio MIDI Setup->Network Device Browser? Is E3 enabled there? If both "yes", then is VenueLink connected in PT?
Yes to all 3! (but I never got the VenueLink to work properly, YEAH! it appears as connected but never got the chance to import the channel names or anything)

I've added the E3 Engine to my Audio MIDI Setup and even Pro Tools would recognize it in the Playback Engine menu as the active interface. But the thing is I won't get signal and if I try to playback or record the STOP, PLAY and RECORD button will start blinking as if something is going wrong.

Quote:
P.S. Btw, I would suggest using El Captain.
I think I'd have to try that.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Avid

4.6.1 is available to all users now

[email protected]
Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Thanks Ryan, excellent
Old 02-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
❤️👍
Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Great news, thanks!!

Does anyone know if Protools 11 still works together with 4.6.1?