Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 AM

Default PRO TOOLS HDX BUG FOUND! HDMI monitor the culprit!

So, I just bought Avid's Pro Tools HDX. I own a late 2013 MacBook Pro with maxed out specs. I am running Mavericks and Pro Tools 11.1.3. My HDX card is plugged into an HD I/O and is fitted inside of a Sonnet Echo Express III-D Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Chassis. The idea was to run HDX on my laptop... but...

Pro Tools wouldn't recognize my HDX card! I would try to change the "Playback Engine" to "HDX" but that option wasn't there! I would try to run DigiTest to see if the card was defective but DigiTest wouldn't open! I used my Avid Support Code and called them. After about 5 hours of deleting files, installing and reinstalling new and old versions of Pro Tools and new and old HD drivers, we ended up still puzzled... Until we came up with the idea to disconnect the HDMI cable that was hooked up to my Dell 2408WFPb monitor.

Boom. Problem solved. As it turns out, Pro Tools would only recognize HDMI as an option in the Playback Engine (HDMI transfers audio and video, hence why Pro Tools defaulted it to HDMI). When DigiTest would crash, it was because it was thinking the HDMI was the HDX. My solution to the problem was to buy a DVI adaptor and plug the monitor daisy chained thru the extra Thunderbolt port in my Sonnet Echo Express III-D PCIe chassis.

Ditch HDMI. Problem solved.

Hope Avid fixes this... it makes my nice and shiny HDMI port on my laptop look lonely.

If anyone out there has this problem, I hope my experience can solve your issues!

Hope this helps someone!!!

-Adrian